RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So based off the pictures I've seen, the RRSs that have a factory hitch, have a different rear body colored bumper fascia. For those with aftermarket hitches or hitches installed at the dealer, do they cut out an area for the hitch, or is that body colored piece replaceable and something you can order?

2018-land_rover-range_rover_sport-1209236152.jpg 2018-land_rover-range_rover_sport-1211964915.jpg

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
239 Posts
Hello Oneway. I have a 2018 RRS V8 Supercharged with the factory hitch. It looks like there is a removable insert in the bumper fascia. In addition to the hitch receiver itself it came with two wired plugs for trailer lighting/brakes. I've also read on this forum that the hitch circuit may need to be activated (in the computer?) for aftermarket installations. You can probably check with the dealer parts department regarding the cost of the insert but doubt it will come painted. If you want a hitch and have a new RRS on order it's really a simple and fairly economical solution to just have your dealer add the factory hitch to your order. Mine was around $650 but well worth it when you compare the cost of an aftermarket hitch and wiring harness, labor to install, buying a fascia insert, having it painted to match plus labor to install and possibly a trip to the dealer to activate the tow circuit. Doesn't seem worth it given the number of opportunities for delays or for something to go wrong.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
140 Posts
If you think you will ever need a hitch, have it included in the order. It is prohibitively expensive to install the OEM version after the fact. Its a cheap add on to a new build (<$1000) but >$2k later. Yes, it requires a different facia piece. Actually two different pieces. There is a $220 wiring harness and the hitch itself is $800ish. To buy all the pieces after the fact is minimum $1500 then you have to pay to have it installed or do it yourself which involved removing most all of the rear of the vehicle body pieces. There is also a reprogramming of the vehicle to properly recognize you now have a hitch which is one hour of shop time (~$150). There is a good post on here of someone the did all of this themselves and the do not recommend it. I did not have a hitch installed on my RRS and I finally decided to go with the aftermarket option which looks like crap, but its only $150 and requires you to trim you existing body panels. The cost and effort to do it using the OEM parts, I just couldn't justify.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback. I have an RRS on order that includes the hitch option (not the towing package), as I want it for a bike rack. I have recently been told my vehicle will be here now in November (originally it was suppose to be September).

I'm tired of waiting and renting an overprice economy vehicle, so I was hoping to just pick up a '18 or a new '19 on the lot now. But, most don't have a hitch, so I was trying to figure out my options.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts