RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20180613_201926.jpg

On my now extended test drive (1984 RRC barn find rescue - 41kmiles) I noticed a bit of a wobble and every time I stop it seems to lurch back just a little bit. Like something was loose.

Well as per picture above, I found it. Turns out this part changed in 1985 so not available in the US and had to order from UK. You can buy them for $5 each (Britpart), but decided to go for Bearmach at $20 each. Should be quick to change.

Keep finding things every week. Nice to keep busy, but it is a little hot in Houston now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just replaced mine 2 weeks ago, not fully cured the rear end steering issue. I’ve got the bushes and swivel for the A frame, just need a bit of warmer weather to fit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your body mount bushings too.
Yes my body mount bushings are quite compressed, but I doubt that would lead to any handling issues. They are relatively cheap to buy (but I am always a little suspicious of the quality of rubber parts available today) how hard is it to change them out in situ? Do I just undo the nut and then jack each mount up gently with some wood packing to spread the load one at the time and slip new rubber bushing and tie up? I had not planned to separate the body from the frame..

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
Yes my body mount bushings are quite compressed, but I doubt that would lead to any handling issues. They are relatively cheap to buy (but I am always a little suspicious of the quality of rubber parts available today) how hard is it to change them out in situ? Do I just undo the nut and then jack each mount up gently with some wood packing to spread the load one at the time and slip new rubber bushing and tie up? I had not planned to separate the body from the frame..
you could one at a time, there are ten sets 5 on each side plus one set at the rear crossmember which serves as rear seat belt anchor. it will be a bit of a hassle.
or you could undo all, then using 4 jacks one under each door at sills lift the whole body a couple of inches. by far better if you have access to a twin post lift.
two at the tail end, the cross member I mentioned, two at front of rear wheels, two at or about the front door hinge, two just ahead at the bulkhead/firewall and the last two behind the front bumper.
I think there is another set of anchors at or about the parking brake area. about a days job.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Body mount bushings won’t affect handling, but might make it “feel” like it’s affecting handling. If the body shifts on the frame even slightly that will be a disconcerting feeling when driving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Even as I typed that I realized it’s such a remote possibility that I wouldn’t bother worrying about it I think.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts