RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If my rear has completely “collapsed” does that mean that my rear struts have failed also? Purchased new bags but wondering if the struts alone should have held up the rear a little more on their own. 03 hse petrol

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
2003-2005 do not have rear struts, so you are simply resting on your bump stops in the rear. In fact none of the L322s ever had rear struts through its entire production run of 2003 to 2012.

You might want to brush up on EAS systems for the 3 BMW years.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2003-2005 do not have rear struts, so you are simply rest on your bump stops in the rear. In fact none of the L322s ever had rear struts through its entire production run of 2003 to 2012.

You might want to brush up on EAS systems for the 3 BMW years.
I think I’m referring to figure 9 and 11. A shock of some sort. Aside from the bags. My rear has completely collapsed and I’ve ordered new bags. But I’m wondering with the degree of collapse if the shocks have gone bad also.

Would healthy shocks have held up the rear better even with blown bags? Or does it appear that my shocks have also failed?

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Shocks Vs Struts: https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/differenceshocksstruts.cfm

The rear suspension on the L322 Range Rover used shock absorbers while the front end uses a strut. The air bags keep the body of the vehicle suspended not the shock absorbers. The degree of the collapse does not indicate the health of the shock absorbers. The shock absorbers will leak hydraulic fluid when they go bad and you can check them visually for this. They will also just start to ride a little rough as they age (not absorb shock).

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Now L320 LR3 and LR4 have rear struts similar to the fronts with the EAS bladder. The numbers you called out are just very heavy duty shocks for hauling and towing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks guys. Best place to source these for delivery to the US? I’m seeing a couple different types listed. They look similar only some have some sort of small cylinder on the side will these work also?

Attachments

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,190 Posts
Your rear shocks are gas filled, but they will collapse (retract) enough for the control arms to hit the bump stops without being damaged, and they will not support the weight of the back end. If the truck is on the rear bump stops you need the air bags, not the shocks. You could also have a broken air line from the rear valve block to one of the shocks. There are two separate lines from the valve block to the bags, but one bag may not be able to hold the rear up alone. Find your leak then replace the part you need, if its an air bag you should replace both of them at the same time, but if its an air line you only need to replace that line.

If you need to replace the air bags make sure you release one end of the shocks because you can pull the upper shock mount apart trying to get enough clearance to get the bag out. I pulled one of mine apart doing rear bushings because I didn't bleed down the bags and I left the lower control arm unsupported and the lower arm pulled the rubber part of the upper shock mount out of the metal part that bolts to the truck.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Thanks guys. Best place to source these for delivery to the US?
best sorce for what?

Your shocks are NOT the issue and you have already purchased bags, again take some to get to know how the EAS system works and how to check for leaks. Get a diagnostic kit so you can read codes and KNOW what the issues are that you are going to experience. There is a diagnostic equipment forum below.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts