RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 months on dirt roads in Nicaragua the classic has developed a clunk which took me a while to narrow down. Initially I thought it was a U-joint but those all felt tight, ball joint had very minimal play as well (which may have to be looked at soon - guessing there should be absolutely zero play there).

Worked my way back to the rear drive-shaft (even though it sounded like it was coming from mid-passenger side) and recreated the sound by hand by rotating the rear driveshaft back and forth. Somewhere between 5-10 degrees of play and a nice hallow clunking on either end.

Keep in mind, these components aren't stock on my 95 RRC. Instead I have a LT230 transfer case and a 4.71 geared Tru-Trac LSD in the back. Xfer case is old (~150k assumed), Diff maybe has 20k. Is this clunking normal? New gear oil in both xfer case and diff (non-synthetic), recently greased drive shaft U joints....

Obviously the sound only happens when the shaft is under no load (no acceleration).

Just a noise to deal with or a problem about to happen?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Normally set up the diff flanges should only allow about 1degree of rotation or less.

If you put the park brake on and lift one rear wheel just off contact with the ground, then try to rotate the wheel, it should try to rotate the propshaft. You should feel a connection between them.

Then drop that wheel to the ground any repeat the other side. You should get the same. If either of the wheels will rotate fully like that, it would suggest broken half shaft.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Has the front shaft been greased at the slip yoke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll test the rear diff today. I tested the front a while back (where I thought I heard the noise originally and they were fine), but yes once I noticed the play in the rear shaft I should have logically went there. I don't know what excessive play feels like for these vehicles yet. All yokes greased a bit a go... unfortunately with a high pressure gun (all I could find here and my mechanic told me I'd be okay using it... was he wrong?).

After posting this yesterday I came the closest I've ever come to losing the truck while adventuring, so at this point a possible failed new rear diff is fine news to swallow!! Here's a photo ... full story at https://www.instagram.com/roverlife/

rupert.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clunking ended up being an absolutely trashed rear axle a frame ball joint ... then once I started chasing down suspension play, I ended up replacing nearly every ball joint, swivel bearing, and bushing. Roads in Guatemala ended up doing so serious damage!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It'll make you a better driver no doubt... you'll never miss another apex in your life! HA.... My fiancee's sister drove the thing without sway bars cross-country. In retrospect I feel badly about that, especially during the high cross-winds they hit in South Dakota! The thing is planted, but it sure will make your heart skip during a 70 mph cross-wind gust.

It's not easy building a camper that handles both off-road and highway well. I would love to get a custom larger rear sway put in, couple quick-releases and a 27mm sway bar and the thing would handle like stock. In retrospect I also would have mounted the AC unit down low, but other than that this camper shell is LIGHT. Entire truck/camper is 5900 lbs fully loaded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for living the dream and blogging it for us to also live !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts