RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. Relatively new owner of a 995 RRC County SWB. My rear driver's side door isn't opening from the outside--- it easily opens from the inside.

The owner I purchased from in March 2020 told me that if I give it a push then try to open it, it should work. That used to do the trick but stopped working as of recent. I examined it more closely and suspect it has something to do with the the "catch" / rod attached to the car (pic below). I recall that there was some tape wrapped around the driver's side rear catch that I removed recently because the tape was falling off and didn't think it served any function. I've attached a picture of both passenger catches, one with tape that works perfectly and one without tape that is giving me issues.

Perhaps I 'messed' something up when I removed that tape. Was that tape making the catch thicker which would somehow make the outdoor opening mechanism work? I just tried re applying some tape but it didn't work.

Any diagnosis on what the problem is or any fixes? Any sense of what this white tape is there for on the passenger side catch?

·
Registered
967 Posts
There is a rod attached to the door handle you can adjust on the inside of the door.. you pop the retaining clip pull it out and then you am adjust it in or out by turning it...

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
249 Posts
The door 'catch rod/post' is too tight.

Try pushing inward as mentioned on the exterior of the door and pull both the interior and exterior handle to open (separately is fine - keep pressure on).

Also, pull up on the door lock tab before trying to open. The latch spring can become weak and will cause the lock mechanism to 'sag'.

Once open loosen the catch rod and move it towards the exterior of the car.

Be careful, if too loose it will move in various plains and create additional problems.

Start searching for a new door latch/mechanism. The latch from the D1's will work on the 95’ RRC.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a rod attached to the door handle you can adjust on the inside of the door.. you pop the retaining clip pull it out and then you am adjust it in or out by turning it...
thanks. This means pop retaining clip out of interior door and that will give me access to the rod inside the door?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The door 'catch rod/post' is too tight.

Try pushing inward as mentioned on the exterior of the door and pull both the interior and exterior handle to open (separately is fine - keep pressure on).

Also, pull up on the door lock tab before trying to open. The latch spring can become weak and will cause the lock mechanism to 'sag'.

Once open loosen the catch rod and move it towards the exterior of the car.

Be careful, if too loose it will move in various plains and create additional problems.

Start searching for a new door latch/mechanism. The latch from the D1's will work on the 95’ RRC.
thanks for the tip! Door easily opens from Inside so getting it open not an issue. You think I should adjust catch rod or should first try what mikieman said above. which way is easier / less of a risk to cause other problems ? Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
967 Posts
You have to remove the inside door card/cover to access the latch...
I have a open door outside I will take a few picture and post them of what I am talking about

·
Registered
967 Posts

here are pictures of the rod mechanism
I removed it to make it easier to see
But you access it from the inside of the door .. there are two rods in the way
But you can get past them
You should only have to turn the rod one time... but test it before putting door card back on.....
Also the clip is attached so it won’t fall...
Hope this helps

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See below. Yellow circle in second picture is the rod with the clip for adjustment right ?? Seems like I have to take off the metal handle to access it?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yes pop the clip.. push it to the left... pull the rod... then turn it ... it is threaded

·
Registered
49 Posts
Be careful when you pop it, because it'll want to throw itself to the bottom of the door or worse.

In one of my doors I stuck a rubber cap on top of the white rod, to remove the play it has against the metal tab. Not the most orthodox method, but it worked and I didn't have to fiddle that much with rusty clipand rods hidden inside a sharp sheet metal box.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe popping the rusty rod off the clip will potentially lead to a lot more problems. It’s very hard to get to with pliers and very little light and small margin for error. I suspect the rusty rod will either break or fall and end up in the door.

TEX what kind of rubber cap did you use and how did you affix it. I like that idea for a work around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi everybody. Relatively new owner of a 995 RRC County SWB. My rear driver's side door isn't opening from the outside--- it easily opens from the inside.

The owner I purchased from in March 2020 told me that if I give it a push then try to open it, it should work. That used to do the trick but stopped working as of recent. I examined it more closely and suspect it has something to do with the the "catch" / rod attached to the car (pic below). I recall that there was some tape wrapped around the driver's side rear catch that I removed recently because the tape was falling off and didn't think it served any function. I've attached a picture of both passenger catches, one with tape that works perfectly and one without tape that is giving me issues.

Perhaps I 'messed' something up when I removed that tape. Was that tape making the catch thicker which would somehow make the outdoor opening mechanism work? I just tried re applying some tape but it didn't work.

Any diagnosis on what the problem is or any fixes? Any sense of what this white tape is there for on the passenger side catch?
View attachment 287300

View attachment 287300
Looks like you've fixed this... I had the same issue, over the years the white push rod wears down and it's almost 5mm or more gone... so doesnt have the ability to open the door. They'll all end up doing this unfortunately. I made a cap for all mine and they work great - so far (1 year)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used a small plug that came with - IIRC - a water pump I bought for camping. It had two plugs for the hose fittings and they were hollow, so I could just fit it on top of the white rod. I just had it lying around, I woulnd't know where to buy one. It will eventually wear down, but it gets me through for the time being.

I see they sell "hose blanking caps" on any online marketplace: that's similar to what I used and will probably work for at least a while. You should try to find one that is plastic and not soft rubber, for durablity and friction.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
this is exactly my issue. The white push rod wore down. I decided to not mess adjust the rusty rod. It would be like brain surgery doing that, the access is very limited and high chance it goes wrong.

How did you 1) get this cap on the white rod and 2) affix to the white rod? For #1 i feel like you need a pair of really long tweezers or forceps. For #2 maybe some gorilla clue in the cap before you put it on. I’m just very curious of how u get in on without disassembling the whole door.

i will google the caps or perhaps use “sugru” which is this glue puddy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think I did detach the rod from the handle, then removed the handle from the door. I honestly don't remember. I'm sure that at some point I had the clip and the handle removed, but Im not sure that it was necessary to to this job.
But a pair of thin and long pliers could do the job.

I did not affix the cap to the rod, I just put it on it and it stayed there. A bit because of friction and a bit because it just has nowhere to go anyway.

Not sure about those crimp terminals in your link: the plastic part looks very soft and the metal part will impede you from doing an interference fit with the rod.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts