RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a punctured rubber boot at the wheel on the rear axle on my AJV8 2006 that needs to be replaced.

It looks like if i take the axle out I need special tools to replace oil seals and axle at the diff and that means I am forced to take it to the dealer ...... Has anyone removed and replaced the rear axle feeling a bit of despair.

Bruce

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS I should have also said I want to do the work myself if I can get the heads up :roll:

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
Can you post a picture of what you are attempting? It is unclear if you are talking about the rear CV axle or the drive shaft? Looking at RAVE, the CV axle does not appear to have a seal that would be disturbed, but maybe for your year the configuration has changed from what is showing in RAVE.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am referring to the halfshaft axle that connects the diff to the wheel. The boot that is damaged is the one that protects the CV Joint in the wheel. To repair I think I need to remove the halfshaft and work on it in the vice.
Removing the halfshaft entails unbolting lower arm height sensor stabiliser link etc then pulling the halfshaft out of the diff and remove it from under the car which is straight forward.
However the manual shows tools to reinstall new seal on the diff (maybe my seal is ok) plus reinstalling the halfshaft using a seal protection tool that appears to guide the shaft into the diff without harming the seal.

I guess it would be wise to put a new seal in the diff after I remove the halfshaft but I am stumped at that point how I can do it myself without tools to remove and replace seal and a seal protector to allow me to install the halfshaft once I fix the CV boot protector.

Any divine intervention would be appreciated. Photos of shaft attached.

Bruce IMG_4616.JPG View attachment 269808

Attachments

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
is the puncture on the flat area of the boot?
If so get a piece of innertube and some quick set modelers superglue,
use a scotch brite pad to roughen the surfaces and then wipe with acetone ,
add a drop or two of the quickset glue hold the patch to the boot for about 30 seconds

·
Registered
346 Posts
I pulled up the RAVE for your model year and it appears to be a typical CV axle. I see the mention of all the special tools. I also watched a Youtube video of a guy removing one of the rear axles and it confirmed my impression. That said watching the video it is obvious that keeping the axle true is difficult at best. As a result the seal can be damaged during removal and during installation. Then again the guy in the video may not have had everything positioned optimally so he was fighting a fight he did not need to.

I would wager it can be handled like any CV job without special tools. Normal seal remover tool, as always caution not to score any surface, and tap it in slowly or find a suitable plastic pipe that fits and tap. Just keep it straight and make sure it sits as the original depth wise. Now for the seal protector one can try using a thin plastic bottle cut and wrapped around the circlip and grooved portion (use zip tie to hold in place). Once the rough edges are inside the seal, remove the zip tie and plastic sleeve, pulling out wards. I would oil this up nicely and take care installing it. You don't want to knock out the inner seal spring - keep it straight. Removal and reinstall would be best with two people so that you can keep the CV true (based on the video and experience on other cars).

If it is the outer CV boot that is compromised, your other option is to leave the inner side in and stretch the new boot over with a cone (videos on this). Then again you can try Mrmerlin's suggestion and try basically a tire patch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts