RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RRS SE TDV6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As part of my overlanding/touring upgrades on my 2015 SE TDV6 I’m designing a set of removable rear drawers and slide for a fridge in the boot space.

I’ve chosen to design it in 3D CAD first to try an iron out all the features and measurements before physically making it. It’s turning into quite a precise piece of kit to try and squeeze every available mm. It’s that precise I may elect to have the panels CNC’d instead of trying to manually cut them.

The whole thing will be covered in black automotive carpet and have alloy trim on the edges and black handles and locks. Want it to look as factory as possible. the whole unit will be secured to the car by removing the existing 4 anchor points and bolting it into the same mounting holes.

The fridge I’ve selected is the Dometic CFX3 55IM. I really wanted to the CFX3 75DZ so I could also have a freezer, and it would have JUST fit, however I would need to have one half of the rear seats upright and it would just not be practical.

Because in my opinion the lighting in the boot space absolutely SUCKS, especially with a black interior, I’m also adding a diffused LED strip down one side, as well as two inside the drawer. I think I might also put another strip down the other side as well. I’m also looking at installing the LED lights in the rear tailgate as mine did not come with them for some reason... (You are being redirected...)

This is the first revision with the slide and the drawer closed. You can see the LED strip to the rear on the R/H side, as well as the 12v socket, dual USB points, volt meter, and push button switches for the lights and fridge. I plan to tap into the existing 12v socket on the R/H side of the boot with a small cable to power the whole thing.

I wanted to have the option to remove the fridge and install a second drawer, so this box sits on the fridge slide and uses the same mounting points as the fridge via M6 bolts into captive nuts on the deck of the fridge slide to secure it.

This is the view with the drawer and slide extended. Both should come out ~850mm from the edge of the tailgate. My wife came up with the awesome idea to have a removable panel inside the drawer that is covered with a 304 stainless sheet that we could use as a table/bench to prepare food while on the road. That is not shown here.

Currently I’ve procured most of the electrical components, slide rails, carpet, handles, locks and trim. Just need to select a final material for the rest of it. I’m leaning towards 12 and 15mm ply but haven’t fully settled on it yet. Weight is a consideration as i want to be able to remove it by myself, as well as not have to much dead weight in the back when not travelling.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
570 Posts
That is a really interesting idea. I hope that you keep us updated on the project.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
317 Posts
great design, what are your plans for the spare wheel?

·
Registered
2015 RRS SE TDV6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be completely honest I didn’t think about that. I’ll still have my spare under the floor, but for touring I was planning on having another one on the roof rack. Understand it would be a pain in the arse to take everything out if I got a flat, but probably something I should definitely account for, thanks!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,405 Posts
To be completely honest I didn’t think about that. I’ll still have my spare under the floor, but for touring I was planning on having another one on the roof rack. Understand it would be a pain in the arse to take everything out if I got a flat, but probably something I should definitely account for, thanks!
Previously, when I fitted the drawers into my P38A, I removed the spare and put it on the roof rack. Fortunately, with the P38A, one can stand on the tailgate to lift/lower the spare. That gave a huge amount of space under the floor. I made a new cover for the hole which had a removable cover to allow access once the drawer was pulled out.

I intend to do the same for my L322 even though I have a second spare so the original spare stays under the floor and the second goes on the roof. I wouldn't like to get it up or down without a tailgate to stand on.

The cover in my P38A (the cross rails are Unistrut and the drawers bolt to that so they can be easily slid in and out. They only go in when I'm camping. I use the same drawers and similar Unistrut on the L322 except the Unistrut runs fore and aft.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts