RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issues with the rear split seats on my LHD P38, the single one (left hand side) folds flat Okay but the double one on the right hand side, the squab folds down but the center latch is permanently locked enabling me to fold it flat. How can I gain accesses to the center latch?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The double seat is locked with a hook to the floor. Once you release the top part of the seat (that is also hooked in place) by pressing the button in the side panels of the rear shelve, you are able to flip down the the rear part. During this folding of the rear part inside the center hinge a metal bar operates the latch mechanism to release it from the floor.

If it does not work, the metal bar (like a pipe that is shaped at the ends to allow it to slide over the cams) has become detached at the hinge or the release hook. Take out the one seat completely by unscrewing the 4 torx screws of the hinges to the seat or floor.
After this you have space to locate yourself next to the double seat. You have to remove the plastic trim at the side to gain access to the bar. A couple of screws and you can take it off. Now you are able to see the bar and operate it by hand. If it came loose at the hinge its easy, just rotate the bar anti clock wise a bit while you try to pull up the seats. If it has become detached at the hook, pull the bar out and you can now look where the hook is and see how to insert the hollow part of the bar over the hook. Engage the bar and do the lifting part.

Now everything has to be screwed back together with the bar properly in place.

Good luck

Jos

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jo,
I did remove the plastic cover on the R/H double seat to see how it worked (this one works Okay), but it’s the centre locking bar that is the offending item. I just cannot see a way to get to this item to repair it??
Cheers

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The bar is connected to the lock that holds down the seats in place.

And this part connects it to the locking device. You can remove the bar and then by feel insert it back and open de lock by rotating it anti clockwise.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jo,
Sorry for the long response..... my task for tonight.
Cheers,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts