RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I'd start a new topic for this particular issue, although I recently posted it in the "Drowned Rangie" thread, wherein it was discussed that my truck took on a bit of water on the passenger side, which got to the BECM. We've replaced a relay on the BECM power module which has cleared up nearly all the problems. One issue remains that has us puzzled:

The rear door locks are absolutely unresponsive. Note, just the rears. The front locks are fine. But, the rear locks won't budge either via electronic switches OR by manually pulling on the latches. They are 100% locked down.

This problem is a mystery... I have no idea where to start to fix this... if the truck was "superlocked", then the front locks wouldn't work either, and the truck wouldn't start, correct? Any ideas?

Thanks!

J

·
Registered
494 Posts
could the water have corrupted or shorted additional wiring around the becm or under the carpets? i don't know the layout of the lock actuators off the top of my head, just a thought...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dutchfrompredator said:
could the water have corrupted or shorted additional wiring around the becm or under the carpets? i don't know the layout of the lock actuators off the top of my head, just a thought...
For sure. But it's tough to explore the wires running back to the rear doors themselves without being able to open them. What boggles my mind is that I can't get the locks to budge even when trying to pull them up manually...

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
36 Posts
My BECM also took some water and had to replace the power board. Everything works fine except the rear power locks. I can manually lock and unlock each door. Did you ever get around to fixing yours? If so, what was the problem and how did you fix it?

J

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, we did fix them. Mine would not unlock at all, so we had to pull the door panel with the door closed (not a fun job), drill out part of the lock to free the door, and replace the entire lock mechanism. Basically, the locks were in security lockdown mode and the electrics were fried.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
21 Posts
Could you give a DIY on your procedure for removing the rear door panel? My driver side rear door has been totally unresponsive for almost 3 years now. It quit working one day when a friend shut the door just as my wife was locking the door with the key fob, bad timing I guess; it never opened again... I gave up trying to get the inner panel off for fear of damaging something, but I'd try again if I had a proven method.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
rsharp said:
Could you give a DIY on your procedure for removing the rear door panel? My driver side rear door has been totally unresponsive for almost 3 years now. It quit working one day when a friend shut the door just as my wife was locking the door with the key fob, bad timing I guess; it never opened again... I gave up trying to get the inner panel off for fear of damaging something, but I'd try again if I had a proven method.
Move your driver seat forward, remove the rear seat on that side and remove the panel as you would if the door were open. That is really all there is to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts