RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old mate recently replaced the rear discs on his 05 SC. No real problems, except for three days later the handbrake started to bind after a short trip down the motorway. He managed to get it to the dealers with the rear discs glowing (he was going there anyway to have an A pilar leak looked at). The service manager told him the problem was that the handbrake had not been put into "mount" mode before changing the discs,a job that requires LR IDS or similar. This causes the handbrake to gradually take up adjustment until such point that the brakes start to bind.

Just something to watch out for........ :shock:

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
185 Posts
happened to me. biggest nightmare ever.

btw its do-able with a regular mechanic. You just have to adjust the handbrake shoes to the width of the rotor. Easy job.

Mine were glowing though. I have a cool picture of my hub red-hot!!! Got them replaced under warantee though (through the mechanic) for his error.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would seem the Main dealer was a little economical with the truth. I found some info on how to adjust up the drums and put the handbrake into mount mode by going through a particular routine with the switch and the ignition. I will re-post when I find where I put the info..

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Hi Rewmer,

Instructions here...5 posts down.

http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35715&start=15

I tried "mounting" my parking brake (hi-ooh) before taking the rear discs off. And it bound them up so I could not turn them to find the adjuster nut. I will try skipping the mounting procedure next time, and just do the adjusting nut thing. So if you find out what the heck the mounting procedure is exactly supposed to do, please let us know!

Edit: 3E beat me to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts