RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change the differential oil on both ends of my 1999 HSE 4.6 at around 25,000 miles (Mobil 1 75/90). This has been done since new. She now has about 200,000 miles on the clock. Each time I change, the oil is very clean and clear. However, the last time it was really black in the rear differential with some sludge on the drain plug; the front diff was clear as usual. There is no rear end noise, no metal in the oil and no evidence of oil leakage around the bearings.

Since I guess that the oil in the rear diff also lubricates the wheel bearings, is there some chance that an inner seal is leaking and somehow letting dirt enter?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Wayne

·
Registered
481 Posts
I also have a 4.6 (1998). The oil seal on the axle case is inboard of the wheel bearings - hence nothing should get in or out of the axle casing. But when I got my RR this summer the LH rear oil seal had blown - which I put down to the blocked axle breather (which should have a long vertical plastic tube off it, to get above the water line. Unbolt the breather from the top of the axle case and blast with air/ if it still doesn't clear then stick a wire/ pipe cleaner in. Has yours been wading at all/ ever? Also, there's black paint inside the axle case, but with all that oil inside my axle case was in great internal condition, so probably a red herring.

Your oil looks black, but does it smell burnt?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Romanrob

Thanks for the reply. Oil does not really smell burnt. I just extracted some oil from the rear end after 2000 miles from the last change, and it looks a little darker than I expected, but not too bad; no metal. I will check the breather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts