RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to get a better idea about what might be wrong before tearing into things? We had that noise and a bit jerking in turns, worse when cold and a few days ago the noise got real bad and the jerking was so bad we just stopped it and the Rangie rode home on a flat bed. I, because of the symptoms thought it was left front CV, noise and what I have read here. We also have been having a ASB problem and I think that might have to do with the CV going to bits.

The tow truck people thought it was the rear diff, they claim to see that the rear wheels are not vertical, I can't see that and that the way the vehicle was jerking as they loaded it meant a pinion on the rear diff.

Any ideas? '95 Classic, LWB.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've had 2 rear diffs blow out on me and am working on my third. Just before it goes out i've felt jerky feel coming to a stop, which gives the impression of brakes grabbing. You can put car on jack stands with all wheels off the ground and turn wheels while feeling and listening underneath. The rear diff can be removed in 1 hour , pull axles out 6 in. remove drive shaft at diff, remove 10 bolts on diff. Its a relatively easy job.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm a bit wondering since I thought CV joints were far more common problem than diffs going out...going on your third diff...and I thought I had some bad luck. :crybaby2: We had a jerking a bit when doing a tight turn at slow speeds before it happened. I'm a little less worried about doing either job and I'll start on things after I get our '67 Galaxie off the stands. Doing the front brakes (leaking cylinders), shocks; front and back and maybe drop and clean the gas tank and replace the float in the tank. Having fun. :roll: I work kinda slow due to back problems but I do get it done...just takes longer. :lol: A lot longer according to the wife...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts