RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but not to doing my own repairs, with the help of experienced forum members.

I purchased an '09 Supercharged one week ago from an LR dealership in Chicago. Prior to my purchase I read the extensive service history report. I noticed on the used car inspection comments it was noted that a trans fault indicating the rear diff motor. It specified that the warning indicator may return if the rear diff motor is not replaced. In my negotiation I requested that the diff motor be replaced. I was told it would be and when I came to purchase the car, "it was". They provided me with the invoice indicating the work was performed. I drove the vehicle roughly 500 miles home without incident minus a check coolant indicator on the display which I remedied by cleaning the contacts and applying dielectric grease on the connector to the sensor. Well, roughly 6 days and 700 miles after I purchased the car I get the "Transmission Fault-Reduced Traction" warning indicator on the display. My heart sank and I felt like vomiting. I come from a background of working on cars and have about 15 years experience wrenching on and tuning turbo Audis. The one thing about those cars you did not want to encounter was a problem with an automatic transmission. I've spent thousands over the years replacing control modules and entire transmissions. It's devastating for me to think about and I am thoroughly devastated with this fault indication as I refused the extended warranty. Regrets a ***** and hindsight is always 20/20,I know...firsthand. Anyways to my point, I'm currently waiting for delivery of my GAP diagnostics IIDTool 6401, but am doing what I can to troubleshoot the problem the best I can without it. I've downloaded the workshop manual (not yet the RAVE one) and was wondering if someone may be inclined to point me in the direction of tests I can do to confirm or at least narrow down the cause of the fault.

Can anyone tell me where to locate the ETM control module for the rear diff? Pin out and related readings I should obtain on the Transfer case control module to check for signal using a DMM? Ohm out the wires to the Diff motor? Ohm out the diff motor itself? Associated pin outs? I know there are some smart guys on this forum, I've been lurking for a couple of months. Please, if you can, help me.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
172 Posts
OMG, dude calm down. Don't throw up all over your new ride. Sinking feeling is understandable, but It may not be as bad as you think. Also you bought it at an LR dealer didn't it come with a 3k or short term limited warranty? That's usually standard. If it's an LR dealer they should have some morals, call them and tell your sales person, start there. Obviously the trans fault is not your fault and was pre existing. How many miles on your truck? Also trans fail safe could be many things low battery etc.. Check the Id tool when it arrives for fault codes. You say the rear diff motor was replaced? Do you mean transfer case shift motor? What other maintenance history?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Re: Rear Diff Motor failure? Transmission Fault Traction Reduced

To start, the diff motor, or the t-case motor are not going to cause any harm to the transmission, even though it does register a transmission fault (traction reduced) - that is only because there is no Rear Differential Locking Motor fault message programmed into the Instrument Cluster.

Get the faults read, and move forward from there. It's a hike, but you do have the option of talking to the selling dealership that did the repairs, and seeing if they'll help out with fixing it correctly.

If it turns out to be the t-case shift motor, I recently saw a gear that has been made available(aftermarket) to fix the motor, as the failure is usually mechanical. The TCCM doesn't often fail on the L322, as it is safely housed in the E-box under the hood, keeping it nice and dry.

But who knows, maybe the connector on the new diff motor came loose(it's a twist lock connector, if it wasn't fully clicked into place, it can easily back off after some vibration)

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for hiring the panic button so soon fellas. A good night rest always helps. I am nervous though. I used to have some pretty sweet Audis and a Streetglide but they were always a sore spot with the wife so 7 months ago I sold them to appease her and bought a Ford Escape (the wife owns an Escape so it'd be pretty tough for her to complain about that) but I missed the feeling of quality I got with the Audi, but did like the higher seating position of the Escape. After much convincing I got the wife on board with the purchase of the RR, with the less than veiled warning that it better not suck up all my time like the Audis and Harley. She's unaware of the problem, but she's suspicious. I'm hoping not to have to hear endless complaints and I told you so's. My RR has 56k on it and the rear diff locker. Going to discreetly head to the garage this morning and verify that the connector is fully connected.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Re: Rear Diff Motor failure? Transmission Fault Traction Reduced

To keep these running as they should(perfectly) there will always be some maintenance to be done, but the 07-09s are very reliable vehicles, and really don't have that many issues.

It's a good truck, get this issue sorted out, and move on to the simple maintenance stuff(fluids, PCV/induction service - search for that, you could probably use it with the mileage) and then just enjoy.

·
Registered
2008 Range Rover SC
3 Posts
I have an 08 Full Size Supercharged with the same symptom, had the motor replaced and then the fault on the dash miles later, my fault was a P0894-Trans component slipping. ( Not all RR's have the locking rear diff, this motor/actuator locks the rear diff, FYI) I am still fighting with the Land Rover dealership, didn't have this code when I took it in. I know this was years ago, but if anybody is still here, update please. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts