RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with rear climate control and rear pillar vents, does your car make a humming sound or drone after a few minutes when on Max AC setting? The hum / drone comes and goes after a while. It doesn't sound normal to me. I had a pretty loud drone before like a radio with no reception searching for stations. I took it in. They replaced the motors but unfortunately the drone is back. About half of the noise is gone. Service manager days it's normal you put those motors working pretty hard on Max it will make the droning noise. I wish I believed him but I don't. I am disappointed if this is normal in a car at 100K price point. I have cars less than half the price and you put them on max you won't hear a thing other than air blowing. I'll try to capture this on video.

Can you guys with rear climate package check this out let us know? Am waiting on another sport with the package so I can compare as at this point I have nothing to go by except the manager's word. It's not a deal breaker for me but frustrating when you pay this much and get noises a Yugo might be embarrassed by.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My AC has been making some weird noises here and there too!

It is winter at the moment here, but I'll check and confirm tomorrow if its from the back/front.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Front won't make noise. It blows pretty hard and just wind noise no drone. Rear is where the noise comes from.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no drone for me from rear max ac
You have to let it go for a few minutes the drone will start at some point. I am pretty annoyed and frustrated. The explaination I was given makes no sense at all. Max AC means the blowers will run at max all the time. Service manager tells me they are working pretty hard that's why and I felt like do you think am stupid? Urgh!! No really. Why does the drone come on and then disappear then start going again then? So the guy says it modulates depending on whether temperature is going down or not. Still not logical at all. Max means it should stay at max and not modulate anything. And you can hear the front going at constant speed so why is the rear acting up?

You know am getting frustrated because I reported my blind spot sensors acting up showing me something is behind when there was nothing. Then not working at all and getting messages system failed. I had to capture it on my cellphone to get them to quit telling me maybe I had stickers on my bumper. Then they found fault codes and replaced the module and it works now. This AC thing is annoying. How bad is land rover quality control they don't catch this crap before releasing these things? My patience is running out. I have 1800 miles for crying out loud and had clunking front suspension, TPMS, parking sensors blind spot, AC.., come on already. How many things have to go wrong and be replaced? Lovely truck but these noises not acceptable. You guys think am being overly critical? Am frustrated the **** car at service like 50% of the time. Should I get out of this car? Am 75% convinced I need to trade it because I don't think I can take if this is the pattern of always having something wrong with it and being a frequent flier into dealership not my idea of a what I expected.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
130 Posts
Just ran mine for about 6 mins. I couldn't hear a drone from the rear. I have 3 zone climate not 4 (not sure if it makes a difference)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah thanks for checking. No way this is normal or made that way or expected as rear blower working hard as manager stated. I'll wait till they get one with the rear climate and we can compare and hopefully I can say if it's normal why doesn't this one make the same noise? How the manager thinks this is acceptable is beyond me. They fixed all the other issues without push back. On this one I feel like am being told to go away and quit complaining it's supposedly a minor issue. Yeah maybe but I paid for the option too not one that sort of works or works with noise. If this noise was there when I picked up, and maybe it was but I didn't hear it, you can be assured I'd not have taken delivery. I fail to see why I should accept it now. With one month and 1800 miles, it's a bit much considering all the other issues fixed to date. I keep thinking maybe I need to trade out of the car. On the other hand I hope all issues are taken care of now but no faith it won't be troublesome car

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone else with an ATB out there test this out? Put the AC on Max seat for a bit hear if it starts huming or droning in the rear pillar area let us know.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Tested today. No noise. But I've heard it at time, so I'm not so sure now- I couldn't get it happening today though.

ATB SC v8 here.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, it seems mine initially wasn't there but somehow got worse over time running for a couple hours on one trip. Anyway they checked it, changed the blower motors, but the new ones are humming / droning about half as loud as the ones they changed. It is quiet for a while then the humming starts lasts a while then goes away and comes back. If you are unaware and your radio is on, you'd easily think it's the source of the humm. It's loud enough you'll hear it with radio on. Service manager says it's normal, and I call BS on that. Am going back today to see if a car a customer sold back to them has the noise. Maybe time to try a different dealership too.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well update. The rear right pillar vent stopped working completely and the humming /drone is gone. Now I know which vent was the source of the noise! On a good note, I won't hear the "it's normal" BS again. I just get annoyed if am telling them there is a problem and they doubt me.

I understand they just changed these motors, but that doesn't mean it is normal. It was quite when I picked up, but I left it running outside went in to get something. As soon I get back and strap in to drive home, it started humming again! With new motors.

After I was told this is normal I went home annoyed. I hate these endless trips to the dealer to fix these issues on a new car. I just clocked 2200 miles so you can understand my frustration with being in service weekly for the last month and half! At some point am just conflicted love the car, but sometimes just want to trade it and be done with it. Everything except the AC now working as it should so I decided I'll keep the car, but hopefully now they can definitively fix this and I can motor happily for many miles.

Maybe just unlucky draw, but my car has had every issue that's been reported on these cars to date. Plus the AC issue. I had the blind spot sensor malfunctions, parking aides malfunction, front suspension thunk and crash issue, And AC problem fixed only for it to come back immediately and now stopped working completely on the right side. It maybe not so many problems, but factor in its barely two months old vehicle with 2200 miles it's frustrating. :???:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Vaser,

Can you tell me what was fixed, after your right pillar vent stopped blowing air. I have a new 2015 ATB and the passenger side pillar vent blows no air at all. The passenger side ceiling vents blows less than the driver side ceiling vent. The driver side pillar vent blows pretty hard, but the large air intake/blower is right beside it.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to clarify; The problems were on the 2014 I had, no issues on the 2015 ATB.

On the 2014 there was a short circuit in the system that was affecting the speed of the motors. They adjusted something in the trunk, but had to take off the trim and replaced some wiring and one motor on the side that was not working. Anyway I don't know the details but something in the trunk area regulates how much air goes to reach side. Take it to the dealer they'll fix it as LR field rep was involved am sure the issue was well documented.

Word of warning about the trim comin of though, it won't look exactly pristine when put back together and you may have to just live with that. Hopefully you have ebony headliner, it's less visible once the tinker with it. There will be visible thread scratches and scuff as it's not so easy to put back. Ask the dealer and only agree if they can cleanly put it back together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Vaser.

I'm at dealer now, which is 3 hours from my house. They just told me that vent on the passenger rear pillar doesn't blow any air because it's the furthest from the blower.

He even showed me another ATB that was in the shop and that one also didn't blow any air out of that passenger rear pillar vent.

They are trying to tell me that is normal. You mentioned a field service rep that was involved. Can you tell me what state you are in?

Is ther any way you could PM me the Vin on your old 2014 so Land Rover could possibly look up what was replaced.

Thanks for any advice or help.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey sorry just saw your post. Actually don't you think it's odd LR built these cars with 4-zone climate but in the rear it only blows on one side? Why is the vent even there then? For looks or symmetry? :naughty: sometimes the things dealers say to us are laughable. There was air blowing out of all vents albeit feebly from one of them in my case, when I asked them to look at it for the really annoying drone that made turning on max AC unbearable. Maybe they don't know and just assume this is the case? It more likely is that these things were not set correctly at the factory. I have worked on an assembly line back in the day so I know short cuts are common by assembly line workers especially if under pressure, and I can tell you this is probably not one of the things they test before shipping to dealers so take everything with a grain of salt.

I got same exact story from service manager last year, but the head tech knew what to do. Although the main blower is on one side in the back, there is something they adjusted in the back to get air going to all the vents after fixing the short and replacing a motor in the pillar. I recall they told me they had to remove the rear panel and some trim pieces when I asked about the frayed trim with screw driver like scratches.

I don't have the paperwork handy but I'll look tommorow and Send you details if I find the worksheet so you can show your dealer it might help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts