RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
People keep asking about the camera being off center. Note that everyones camera image is off center from the factory, it's just that you don't notice it until you add a camera equipped with the parking guidelines. The guidelines are not part of the cameras video image, they are a graphic mask sent straight to the monitor by the cameras electronics. They occupy a defined set of pixels on the monitor, an because of the aspect ratio of the RR's headend touchscreen being slightly no standard for either NTSC, or PAL formats the guide lines et shifted down and to the right. Its not the camera's fault, its the touch screens The lines are actually pretty accurate and relate well to the different PDC tones from the rear bumper.

The first image is the image on the touch screen of my Camera, which has the image shifted down and to the right;

And the second picture is the same camera displayed on my RSE monitors (I was using them to test the camera image before installing it) perfectly centered in the screen and showing the guide lines all the way to the bottom edge of the monitor. The RSE monitors have a standard aspect ratio so the DVD images are properly displayed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
All,

I am going absolutely nuts with this camera thing. Check out this newer youtube video for a simple plug and play option(I believe). I purchased a camera, but believe that I shorted it out while soldering, thus, I cannot confirm whether or not this works. One question, does it matter which ground you use? As the video mentions, there are two grounds, one power, and the white is the video. . . .I am an absolute idiot with wiring, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxXPVoBafdU&t=5s

·
Registered
965 Posts
The ground in the video cable is not a true electrical ground, it is a signal ground that minimizes interference from other cables in the truck. It is connected to a different ground in the head end at the opposite end of the cable. Just get the female RCA connector to male SMB jumper cable mentioned in one of the links in the 3rd reply above and you do away with soldering the signal cable altogether.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have to get a PAL camera, or one that auto selects the proper format. A pure NTSC camera will not work in a RR (at least the 06 versions)
Have you tested using a camera with only NTSC format? The display in the 06' Range Rover allows you to select the TV Format (NTSC or PAL) for video input.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I did hook one up on my truck, didn't work, just snow if I remember correctly. All the PAL ones worked as did the ones that auto select. I have a bagful of the cheap chinese cameras and tried a bunch of them. Thats how I found out about the ones with the built in LEDs reflecting back into tha camera lens and washing the picture out.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Mark are you using the factory housing for your camera tests, what did you rig up?

I only post the pic so others can see the later MY10+ cameras can be repurposed and housing reused if they completely die.

BTW - I enjoy the shite out of your posts. Vast wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I found this in another thread in forum.

Its a dual signal unit meaning can handle both North American NTSC video signal as well as European PAL video signal. Since my HSE is GCC spec, video system is the European PAL signal.
GCC or USA spec Range Rover

So now I just need to figure out what spec my 06 RR HSE is built on GCC spec or USA Spec.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes, I used the original 06 to 09 style housing from my truck with a Chinese low light bullet camera with moving parking lines (just to be different) in the housing after mine died one day. I wanted it to look completely stock, when I was done. You neve know how much you depend on those cameras until you're looking at a black screen on the dash. Mine is a North America spec'ed truck (originally sold in NY state). The DVD portion of my head unit is NTSC (we don't have any PAL units in the US) but for some reason the rear view camera setup didn't like an NTSC camera, and since LR's are (were?) basically all made in the UK which is based on the PAL standard and they don't really want you just slapping any old camera in there maybe there is some hardware in the head unit that requires the camera to be PAL. I had the **** head unit out 2 weeks ago, and I can't remember if there is a direct feed from the camera into the head unit of not. The GPS antenna (unless its actually the camera feed - its a small coaxial plug in connector like a GPS antenna lead would have) and the MOST fiber optic ring does connect directly to the head unit but everything else ties into the IHU behind the head unit (in my case) so the DVD player does not connect directly to the screen. I have pictures somewhere.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes, I used the original 06 to 09 style housing from my truck with a Chinese low light bullet camera with moving parking lines (just to be different) in the housing after mine died one day. I wanted it to look completely stock, when I was done. You neve know how much you depend on those cameras until you're looking at a black screen on the dash. Mine is a North America spec'ed truck (originally sold in NY state). The DVD portion of my head unit is NTSC (we don't have any PAL units in the US) but for some reason the rear view camera setup didn't like an NTSC camera, and since LR's are (were?) basically all made in the UK which is based on the PAL standard and they don't really want you just slapping any old camera in there maybe there is some hardware in the head unit that requires the camera to be PAL. I had the **** head unit out 2 weeks ago, and I can't remember if there is a direct feed from the camera into the head unit of not. The GPS antenna (unless its actually the camera feed - its a small coaxial plug in connector like a GPS antenna lead would have) and the MOST fiber optic ring does connect directly to the head unit but everything else ties into the IHU behind the head unit (in my case) so the DVD player does not connect directly to the screen. I have pictures somewhere.
Yes there is a direct fakra connection for both the rear camera and venture camera on the back of the IHU.

When I did my navtool I ported all those connections to down under the drivers seat for easier access to add more camera later (like the later MY10-MY12, there camera module is down under there and there are fakra connectors/cables in that area for the OEM cabling to splice into for the MY06-MY09). I ordered y cables from a Wi-Fi cable guy on ebay. No cables were harmed in the making of my port.

Not to digress to far but the port was mostly to rewire the rear camera for always on display with the navtool. I like to watch my bikes or trailer while driving and until surround cameras on MY10-MY12s that wasn't an option. As commented in another thread, by using the navtool for reverse camera display i have the full resolution of the factory rear camera which is greatly improved over the factory zoom the IHU does when showing the reverse camera.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All- This was posted in a facebook group that I am a part of. I have ordered one and will report back once it is replaced. If it works, this is the first affordable plug and play option available.

Edit: Link is below as I was unable to include a link in my first post.

SUPER EXCITED HERE

·
Registered
251 Posts
Test
Welcome to the forum!

That is a standard chinese camera with an adaptor harness made out of the normal included plugs.

Definately not worth $100 USD + shipping after exchange rate. That's a $20 camera and about $15 in parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is a standard chinese camera with an adaptor harness made out of the normal included plugs.

Definately not worth $100 USD + shipping after exchange rate. That's a $20 camera and about $15 in parts.
For people like me who have neither the time nor the know how to wire it up, it's well worth it. At the end of the day, it's 1/5 of the cost of what I was about to pay for a new one.

Also, it was $100 shipped to USA.

·
Registered
251 Posts
For people like me who have neither the time nor the know how to wire it up, it's well worth it. At the end of the day, it's 1/5 of the cost of what I was about to pay for a new one.

Also, it was $100 shipped to USA.
I'm glad you found something you like.

For about $50 more you could have purchased a new Land Rover OEM MY10-MY12 camera with upgraded resolution from the UK directly.

Depending on the year of your L322 you still had to modify the rear camera housing pretty seriously, you must have had the time and know how for that. Still not worth $100 for a $20 chinese camera when the wiring is the least amount of work.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,123 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm glad you found something you like.

For about $50 more you could have purchased a new Land Rover OEM MY10-MY12 camera with upgraded resolution from the UK directly.

Depending on the year of your L322 you still had to modify the rear camera housing pretty seriously, you must have had the time and know how for that. Still not worth $100 for a $20 chinese camera when the wiring is the least amount of work.
2006 model - I was under the impression that the 2010-2012 cameras will not work with 2006-2009, but I could be wrong. . . Regardless, I am excited for a relatively "easy fix" when I've been researching and failing to install one myself for about a year. PDC alone is average at best when maneuvering this beast.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,123 Posts
2006 model - I was under the impression that the 2010-2012 cameras will not work with 2006-2009, but I could be wrong. . . Regardless, I am excited for a relatively "easy fix" when I've been researching and failing to install one myself for about a year. PDC alone is average at best when maneuvering this beast.

The one I posted has lines, but do not turn with the steering wheel like the wife's '11SC does. It got the owner a rear camera back for under $50. So I class it as a win

Martin

·
Registered
251 Posts
I hear ya man, i own a MY06 and have done the MY10 camera upgrade, then ended up putting the original MY06 camera in. The MY06 camera was a good one as it was fully sealed unlike later revisions. It sucks yours died.

There are 2 types of MY10+ cameras: digital and analogue. Digital is used on the surround cameras and would not work, analogue are used on non-surround camera cars and would work.

I think it's a great option, my criticism is purely the price as someone is kind of taking advantage of people charging so much. $50 would be a realistic price with the plug adapted. Then you still have to modify the housing which a MY06-MY09 is the fully sealed camera and harder.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts