RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched but not found anything specific to the issue I'm having.

Cutting to the chase (there's a looong back story!) I'm fitting a replacement bumper to my 2000MY 4.6 Vogue. (Suffice to say there';s a special place somewhere for one of the previous owners... :-x

The old bumper came off easily enough, aside from a single thoroughly rusted bolt securing a mudflap. As it was seriously damaged, cutting things to get to that bolt wasn't an issue.

I had a replacement (s/h) bumper from an earlier (95/96) 4.0 SE that I'd previously removed.

So - all off, replace the coloured panels, clean things up, and... Now the fun starts.
The replacement bumper will. not. go. on.
I can mount one end or the other, but even with the clips in place, I still can't get it back far enough on the mounts to get one bolt in. One bolt? Yes... Getting one end in means the other simply will not fit. It feels as though it is pivoting on something towards the centre.

OK. After pulling, pushing, teasing and checking, rechecking and checking again, I decide to try to get the old bumper back on. It no longer has the horns extending forward on each end, but ho hum, it'll do for now. And maybe I'll work out why the other won't fit. (I've compared the mounts, plastics, metal parts... All look the same.) No side pieces to the bumper means no need to locate the sliding blocks.

I can get the old bumper on at one end, and even get a bolt in. But that's it. The other end is impossible to position. Lifting it up and down brings a metal-on-metal rubbing sound, but nothing more. I've bent the mount inside the bumper slightly to increase the space to fit it over the bumper mount - no change. Same problem seems to persist - it feels like it is pivoting on something.
And this is the bumper I removed.

The bumper had been severely damaged at some point. It looked as though something had got between the bumper and the rear wheel, and the driver had moved forward, breaking the side part of the bumper. It was still held together by the metal reinforcing bar.

Anyway... Any tips for what I'm doing wrong? What is likely to be fouling? I can't be the first person to have this problem!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not one to sit back and wait for answers - I'll keep plugging away. I was pretty sure that there was something simple that I'd missed. :roll:

In the end of the rear chassis horns there is a mount, secured by 4 bolts. This has a nut welded into the bottom to secure the bumper, and a 'window' in the top.

The bumper is in two main parts. he plastic cover, and a fairly substantial metal liner which is bonded to the plastic cover. (I'm ignoring the trim pieces for now.)
The metal liner has the mounts welded into it - a box section piece in the lower part, and a tongue with a vertical cone on it. The box section aligns with a hole through the plastic part - you'll fit the securing bolt through this.

When fitting, the tongue with the cone goes through the hole in the mount which fits into the end of the chassis horn. This locates the bumper. The bumper will then slip under the horn so the securing bolt can be fitted. You can't see what you're doing when fitting, so familiarise yourself with these parts and their location.

At the sides, there are the slide-fitting mounts. When removing the bumper, you need to move the sprung clips out of the way. When refitting, REMOVE the brackets from the chassis - a single 13mm bolt. You can easily refit these after the bumper is mounted, and it saves trying to line up the slide fittings when refitting the bumper. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I like the one about not fitting the slide mounts until the bumper's on - very clever

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
It sounds like the mountings on the chassis are slightly deformed, preventing the bumper from fitting correctly. When you removed the old bumper, the tension was released and it probably 'unbent' a bit, so it no longer matches the deformed mounts. Maybe put a ruler on them or measure to different points of the chassis to check the mounts.

BTW, I prefer to leave the sliders on, as the can be useful as a guide while positioning the bumper. As you say, you can't see what you're doing and a bumper is a large and rather heavy item to handle.

Best of luck,

Filip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the one about not fitting the slide mounts until the bumper's on - very clever
It certainly worked for me! Fitting the slider housings is easy after the bumper is fitted - no need to jack up or remove wheels.

It sounds like the mountings on the chassis are slightly deformed, preventing the bumper from fitting correctly. When you removed the old bumper, the tension was released and it probably 'unbent' a bit, so it no longer matches the deformed mounts. Maybe put a ruler on them or measure to different points of the chassis to check the mounts.

BTW, I prefer to leave the sliders on, as the can be useful as a guide while positioning the bumper. As you say, you can't see what you're doing and a bumper is a large and rather heavy item to handle.

Best of luck,

Filip
Thanks Filip.
I think a lot of my problem was down to not having done this before - doing it again would be much, much quicker.
I have some pics which I'll sort, and I'll edit my second post to show what I was talking about. Some may have understood, but for anyone new to this the pics will be useful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts