RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of replacing front and rear brakes on my 2006 rrss. My friend just did his and two weeks later his rear brakes locked up. the dealer said it is common on 2006 for the rear shoes (parking brake) to seperate and lock up. they told him that after brakes are performed you need to recalibrate the parking brake. Is this true? Does anyone know of a fix for this or way to prevent this? I have tried my best to use the search option to find this answer but was unable to find anything regarding a fix.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Also I would appreciate any recomendations for pads and where to buy for best price. I have a 2006 rrss thanks

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Last question first...I have bought all my OE pads and rotors from Atlantic British. You mention just pads so shipping is not an issue, but if you buy rotor's by mail, be aware that shipping long distances is extra $ so factor that into the price quoted.

You only need to worry about the EPB if you are changing rear rotors. But if you are, there is a unmount/mount procedure for those pb pads that LR instructions tell you to use. I had no luck getting it to work the one time I tried it--probably b/c I'm an idiot if there's the word "electronic" in front of anything :doh:. But what I did the second go 'round is I removed the EPB fuse first making sure the p/b was not engaged, and backed off maybe 5 turns ( I can't remember the exact #) on p/b adjustment screw (count them and write it down). The trick is to get the inspection hole to line up with the screw. Anyway the rotor should slide off at this point. If it doesn't, back off a couple more turns. To reset the adjuster after the new rotor is on, turn the adjustment screw back until it's just barely impossible to move the rotor by hand--I think it was almost the same amount of turns-- then back it off minus 1 turn.

So far so good with my EPB, but the caveat is I'm not sure this is 100% proper LR way.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I thought we had to un mount the EPBas well. After playing with it a while, I could not get the rotor off. Finally had some inside help from the dealer help me. He said there was no such thing as un mounting the EPB, just take the rotor off. When the rotor is put back on, before you put the wheel back on, turn the engine to the on position and activate the EPB, this will then engage the EPB and sort of calibrate itself. I could heard the epb engaging for a few seconds till it "stretched" to the walls of the rotor and everything has worked fine since. You could fool around with the clicking to un mount, but that did not do much. Even the LR tech stated they don't perform that procedure.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
741 Posts
On my previous '05 LR3 that I had since new till 105k miles, I never once properly readjusted the EPB when changing rear rotors and never had a problem. I did exactly as frisco_tx suggests. After replacing the rotor, I'd engage the EPB once then disengage. Haven't had to change the rotors on my RRS yet, but I'll probably do it the same way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What a timely thread! I too did work on my brakes 2 months ago (thanks again Goosey for the tools) and experienced the EPB lock up as well. If you ask "how do you know?", my rear driver-side wheel well smelled. I am willing to admit I may have misdiagnosed this but here's a bit of background.

I am in the habit of using the EPB everytime I park since I have this perception of alleviating the stress on the transmission especially when parked at an incline/decline. My garage does have this slight inclination that everytime I back out of the driveway, I simply release the EPB and off goes my vehicle without the need to engage the vehicle in reverse.

Now the night in question, I have to say that in this particular instance, I have engaged the EPB 3 times in a span of maybe 5 minutes whilst parked. So off we went when after driving about 2 miles, my wife sitting on the 2nd row with the baby says "what is that sound" and I noticed that car shaking violently and the 2nd row headrest rattling so I immediately pulled over to do a check though there's nothing I can do pretty much as it was dark and I couldn't see smoke nor a vision of rotors that are coal red. I only smelled sulfuric-like odor and could only guess that I probably have screwed up the DIY brake job.

The next day I did a visual inspection on the rear rotos and the only thing my .02 cents can point is that there is a blackened portion of the rotor in question, location on that ridge/lip in between the surface of the brake pad and the side of the rotor where the wheel lugs are, as if somebody held a torch on it for a few minutes. Then I realized, it must be the EPB. I did a test on the EPB by engaging/releasing and only hear the normal actuator sound. I then proceeded to roll out of the driveway I lifted the EPB to mimic a kindergarten emergency stop and EPB engaged.

So what could be the culprit here? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Not sure how this could have occured but you have damaged other parts when it locked up. Possibly engaged sometype of service mode. I know there is some procedure they call for to do the activate\release 3x in 10 seconds to enter the EPB in service mode, but the time lapse you specified was greater. I think you may need to inspect the rotors - usually this calls for a replacing parking brake shoes, brake discs, and / or holddown clips. Inspect the parking brake cable too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was able to find Umberto's PDF file on the EPB service and yes I saw the "activate/release 3X within 10 seconds". I still have easy care and thinking of visiting the dealership just to make sure. Let's see what they come up with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts