RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Symptoms: The rear would sag on both sides when left overnight or for more than a few hours. Compressor would kick on when starting to fill the rear bags with air again and get back to ride level.

Possible solution: Rear Valve block leaking. You can either rebuild or just buy a new one. I ended up just ordering a new one from land rover tampa, seems like they had the cheapest in the country. $144 w free shipping.

The rear valve block is reachable in the driver's side rear wheel well.

This video on youtube is pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b1JX4CbTlw to show the location.

The only difference is on the RRSSC you don't have to remove the spare tire. There's no way possible to reach the two air lines from underneath like the LR3. It can all be done from the wheel well. Take your time and have patience, it's tight in there. You will only need a 12mm spanner.

I'll report back tomorrow to see if the Rover sags overnight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So as it turns out... the leak is still present. I sprayed everywhere with soapy water and found a leak at the compressor. Ordered a new one and it should be here friday.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
Take lots of pictures during your removal/replacement. Looking forward to seeing your results.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I've been chasing this leak for a while now... after compressor replacement... same issue. This weekend I removed the EAS fuse and noticed it's only dropping on the driver's side rear. I looked and noticed the tech who replaced the struts 10k ago didn't replace the brass fitting at the strut, he just reused the old one... I'm thinking this could be the issue. Going to to replace that now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I looked and noticed the tech who replaced the struts 10k ago didn't replace the brass fitting at the strut, he just reused the old one...
Are you talking about the coupling for the airline that goes into the air bag? If so, a simple soapy water test would reveal a leak. It is a good culprit. When I replaced the air bag on my right front, I made certain it was tight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you talking about the coupling for the airline that goes into the air bag? If so, a simple soapy water test would reveal a leak. It is a good culprit. When I replaced the air bag on my right front, I made certain it was tight.
Yeah, I checked it with soapy water also and didn't see bubbles but I'm going to swap in anyway

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Air system guru's question: Since it dropped on the driver's side rear after taking out the fuse, is it safe to say the leak is isolated between the rear valve block and that specific air spring? (driver's rear)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are you convinced that there is indeed a leak? Have you isolated the height sensors? I presume the truck was running when you removed the fuse, if that is so, then it may very well be a height sensor. Since there was no leaking around the air line into the bag, then that is probably not the culprit. The block could be the problem but another soapy water test on that should provide some clues.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
You may have a leak in the line between the valve block and the strut. I agree the sensor is the most likely culprit. However if the sensor was bad that corner would always be lower even if you went to offroad height. If the valve block was bad or you had a air line leak the compressor would continually run. That corner would be to the bump stops in the mornings. It would be nice to check the EAS system for faults if you have access to a diag tool.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You may have a leak in the line between the valve block and the strut. I agree the sensor is the most likely culprit. However if the sensor was bad that corner would always be lower even if you went to offroad height. If the valve block was bad or you had a air line leak the compressor would continually run. That corner would be to the bump stops in the mornings. It would be nice to check the EAS system for faults if you have access to a diag tool.
the system has no faults, but the left rear is always lower no matter what height the system is at. Is that a clue that it could be a sensor?

IMG_20180723_163422.jpg
IMG_20180723_163405.jpg
IMG_20180723_163327.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you convinced that there is indeed a leak? Have you isolated the height sensors? I presume the truck was running when you removed the fuse, if that is so, then it may very well be a height sensor. Since there was no leaking around the air line into the bag, then that is probably not the culprit. The block could be the problem but another soapy water test on that should provide some clues.

I removed the fuse when the truck was off. Left it overnight and only that corner dropped.
there's no leak at the block and at the air spring connector (soapy water test) i'm about to order the line and just replace it.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Sounds like a plan especially if the fuse is pulled and that corner drops overnight. Does it drop to the same point and stop each night? I wonder if you left it for 2 days if it would drop more. Seems an air leak would take it to the bump stops.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a plan especially if the fuse is pulled and that corner drops overnight. Does it drop to the same point and stop each night? I wonder if you left it for 2 days if it would drop more. Seems an air leak would take it to the bump stops.
yup, it ends up on the bump stops

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport SC L320
100 Posts
There is a ticking sound after the car is shutdown at the rear valve block. Is this normal?

Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts