RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my 2002 Range Rover knowing that it had some issues. The most obvious was the "sagging butt" where the rear air springs leaked when parked.
I am new to Range Rovers and definitely not an advanced mechanic, but I researched the issue and remedy here on the website. After purchasing a new set of air springs, I set out to replace the rear ones this weekend. For all of you that are thinking about it, here are my observations:

Conceptually, this is a pretty straightforward task and the information here on the website is pretty accurate. However, as usually happens, there are some twists and turns along the way.

The access to the retaining clip and hose connection are VERY limited and there is about 1 inch of space to work with (even after removing wheel well).
I needed a helper to hold up the air spring when trying to replace the retaining clip. Mine would not go all the way through the hole on top of the air spring. After spending some frustrating time trying to figure out why and how, I finally had to take it out, heat it with a propane torch, and slightly bend the end up.

The other side had a rusted retaining clip on top that broke off when I tried to pull it out. I could not get any access or bite on it to be able to pull the rest out. I had to drill the plastic top piece around the retaining clip to get it loose and pull it out. After that, the air spring still would not come out (the other side was easy). I had to get a small pry bar to get it loose.

Final problem was the right side air spring still was sagging after installation. I found with soapy water that it was leaking around the hose connection. I cut off 1/4 inch of hose and re-inserted. Then everything was fine.

It looks great now and was worth doing myself. If you attempt it, make sure you allow plenty of time for extra "challenges". If everything goes as planned, it is not hard.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Congratulations on a job well done. I will admit that the access is poor and you end up just pushing the pipe in and hoping it will be OK. But as you have seen if it is not then it is an easy fix.

I need to do some maintenance on mine when the temperature warms up. My morning commute has been at -6C every morning for the last 2 weeks and the EAS has been fine. May be it likes the cold temperatures? I had an air leak on the air reservoir but it is not showing itself at the moment.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. When I picked up ours the rears were done so my first attempt was in a windy New Jersey rain soaked plaza. So windy in fact that my friend who provided moral support and help also caught 2 or 3 unattended shopping carts rolling at a good clip toward the near mint bodywork of our just purchased rangie. Did you use the gen lll arnotts and did you check for any welding excess in the airspring pockets. OEM's do not swell to fill the pocket but arnotts will and can therefore be cut by any rough ness in the pocket. amhik:oops:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Funny, this is an exact reenactment of when I tried to change my springs on saturday.. My clips were rusted aswell and broke of when I tried to pull them out. My solution was to simply get a tire iron, and use it´s "lip" to get force in behind the top of the airspring from beneath, made a quick job of removing it even with half the clip in.
fff5c4ca0d68702cb91c75c.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought some Gen III springs from Suncore and hope they will serve my purpose. All 4 springs were $395. I'm not sure how long I will own the car, but even if they last 4 years, I think it will work out. Time will tell...
I did the front springs this past weekend. The biggest drama here was accessing the little clips on top to pull them off an put them on. Again there is very little room to work with. I couldn't get the passenger wheel well all the way off because of rusted mud flap screws.
My driver's side air hose has NO slack in it, so there is a bit of an angle instead of it going straight down into the connector. Caused a leak for a while, but it seems to be ok now after several tries of getting it to seal properly.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
I have yet to pull the liner etc out to replace an airbag myself.
Front top clips are easily removed with a long flat screw driver.
Rear top clips with a pair of long needle nose pliers. If the clip breaks, long slim punch or drill bit pops them out.
Easiest way to get the bags back in, is to use the manual inflation system of your choice, and put a small amount of air into the bag. You do have a Rover Raiser etc right?;-) If you don't, get one ASAP.

Martin

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am working with a more limited set of tools. It does make it harder and requires some more creativity for sure.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Be sure to get a Rover Raiser from Scotty (link in my sig). Worth every penny for piece of mind, and makes jobs like this a lot easier.

Martin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts