RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends and Rangey-nuts,
I am trying to fit new rear air bags to the suspension. After much cursing and bashing of the top plastic mount I managed to pull out the top pin. The bottom was slightly easier. But now I cannot get the plastic top of the old bag to shift. I have made sure no length of the pin has remained in place. I have tried to lever up inside the mounting, chiselled away most of the plastic bit above the chassis, twisted and pulled, raised the axle and lowered it - to no avail. Is there a trick I am missing? Or do I need to completely destroy the top plastic mounting:?:.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced mine the other day. I had no luck until I used a crowbar to pry it out, from below. About two feet long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Yep, prybar for the real horrible ones.

Martin

·
Registered
145 Posts
You need a reasonably straight bar, or a long cold chisel,, make sure you clean all areas before installing the new bags,, pin nose pliers or forceps help with reinstalling the air line

·
Registered
151 Posts
yes, when I replaced mine last year I battled with the pin then had to crow bar the darn plastic off. I thought I was going to break something but eventually it came loose.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone - I shall renew the fight with a prybar and large hammer, and let you know what breaks first - the air bag, the Rangey, or me.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
If nothing else, just beat the snot out of the top of the airbag plastic. It's getting replaced anyways.
The just make sure the hole is clean with a little emory paper before putting the new bag on.

Martin

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
I made a lever to slip up the side of the plastic from underneath and give it a twist when I changed the original ones on my ex-plod but when I did the SE, I couldn't be bothered with subtlety. Old 25mm wood chisel in the gap between chassis rail and body and gave it a good clout. Chopped the top off the old plastic and the rest just fell out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thinking back, on my last rear bag change,on one side the pin sheared, ended up getting a hand saw and chopping the top off, it fell out after that,, so an idea if your still stuck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Success! Thanks everyone for your ideas and support. The first time you do one of these jobs it's always tricky what with not knowing the ropes. Anyway I took Chris1234's advice and sawed off the top flush with the top of the chassis. Then I borrowed a tip from Gilbert and found a strange tool with a right-angle near the end which I was able to forced up inside and lever out. Worked a treat. Now the other side to do, but at least I know what I'm up against.

Mind you when axle and chassis are on stands and the bag inflates it is weird!

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
The top of the rear airbags usually does stick in the mounting. I use a long prybar to lever between the top and the body, it can take quite a lot of force but it has always worked so far and takes very little time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts