Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I tried googling my symptoms, reading different threads but no one seems to be experiencing the issue I am having and would love to get your thoughts.

I am getting a soft fault randomly- comes and goes- the "below 55km/h" message and the 4 EAS button lights flashing.
It will either stay in the regular driving height, or it will go into extended height. Never drops to bump stops. It is intermittent and comes and goes.

I have now ordered the RSW software in hopes of being able to scan etc, but I'd love to hear why it may be happening and if anyone else has had similar experiences?

I am thinking it is a sensor acting up??? Am I off base?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
134 Posts
Re: Really strange EAS issue- No info found!!! Assistance pl

Could be several things. Even though I have never heard of one going bad, you could replace the delay timer relay with a standard 4 pin relay. When that is removed completely the low speed warning will show and the lights will flash at start up and all sty lit in a random pattern. The regular relay will eliminate the bad delay relay option. Could be wiring in that circuit triggering an intermittent fault. Keep trying one thing at a time to track it down.

·
Registered
690 Posts

The driver pack is failing intermittently. You might get away with cleaning up the two big 13-pin connectors that go to it.

Every single driver pack I have taken off a breaker has had at least one channel intermittently faulty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The driver pack is failing intermittently. You might get away with cleaning up the two big 13-pin connectors that go to it.

Every single driver pack I have taken off a breaker has had at least one channel intermittently faulty.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ANR3900 New part.

I never heard of a driver. Is this the part? I think I'd want a new one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/P38-RANGE-ROVER-EAS-AIR-SUSPENSION-VALVE-BLOCK-DRIVER-PACK-RVH100030-/272383494467?hash=item3f6b524943:g:18oAAOSwv0tVJThd&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
134 Posts

Yes that's it. I have 2 doing flaky things now. One is old and original, and the other is from a salvage yard. Sounds like new is the better way to go. Is there a reliable way to test them?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I am not aware of testing them. I am waiting for my RSW software so I can scan it first, before I pull the trigger and order a new part.
Seems that if you lower the truck all the way down, then raise it to normal height, it doesn't go on the fritz after... Strange..huh

·
Registered
140 Posts

I have posted previously that I too had a long term (over 12 months) intermittent fault on my old girl, after rebuilding virtually everything I recently accidently found 2 corroded wires in the connector by the driver pack. After repairing these and pinching the connectors (as suggested by others) along with copius amounts of contact cleaner on all connectors the issue seems to have finally gone. I have now gone quite some distance with no faults, so I am a very happy bunny. The only thing that doesn't function on the EAS is the open door inhibit, I have given up on this one! I only have about 100 other items to fix now and the car will be a goodun. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Also, google doesn't reveal anything.. Who rebuilds the EAS Valve blocks these days? All i find is the kit/instructions to do it and I'm not about to experiment...

·
Registered
134 Posts

I don't know that I have heard of anyone doing the work. I have done 1 or 2 and it is not very hard if you are careful and patient. You can try these guys. Even though they do not mention it, they do rebuild pumps and things. Maybe they can suggest someone to do it. I have purchased parts from them and they are good to deal with.
http://www.falconworks.net/EAS/

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,414 Posts

do your self a favor and visit paulsp38.com...lots of good p38 oriented and detailed info.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Check the stickies at the top of this forum too. Storey has a bunch of info at RSW as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

do your self a favor and visit paulsp38.com...lots of good p38 oriented and detailed info.
Thank you, I've read his site. I just don't have the patience to do it myself and would either pay someone to do it, or would buy new (should the valve block be my issue).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Check the stickies at the top of this forum too. Storey has a bunch of info at RSW as well.
Waiting for his software as we speak!
Rover is still on the fritz but my wife hasn't added her summer car to insurance yet, so she's still driving it the short distance to work..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

So now it won't allow any movement, all buttons are flashing and it has raised itself to off road height.... Can't wait for my RSW software...

·
Registered
238 Posts

The strangeness continuous.

I received the RSW software. I plugged it in and after connecting, I as able to read the faults, they made no sense. Should have taken a picture but forgot, one had something to do with "driving off too early"

Anyway, I cleared them, but I still have the "don't go over 55km/h" and the solid lights on the button...
It would allow me to play with the height briefly, a few times, but the message and the lights remain on including the extended height dash picture. After checking for faults again, there are none appearing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As mentioned before, there is a solution to all EAS issues on the site, the thing is that unless you get someone to sort it for you, you will have to endeavour to DIY. I had an issue for a long time and in the end it was down to the large connector by the air compressor having a very dicky connection. You will have to find some patience and get you hands dirty if you want to resolve it without parting with some significant CDN $.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you've had "lots of faults that don't make sense" - particularly if some of them have names like "Hidden128" - then you haven't connected to the ECU and you're probably trying to diagnose your laptop's touchpad or modem. This is not going to go over particularly well.

When you fire up the EAS software you must pick the correct comm port, which you can identify in the Windows Device Manager. You actually have to go and look in the hardware list in Device Manager and positively identify the correct port. This is not in any sense optional, at least the first time you set it all up.

Once you've positively identified the comm port you must select that in the EAS software. Then, when you click on "Initialize" (sic) you should hear the relay under the seat click a few times, you'll get a few beeps and EAS FAULT messages, and then the TX window will scroll alternating FF and 01 and the RX window will scroll FF continually. The bit that says "No Idle" should change to "Good Idle".

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GREEN BOX WITH "Good Idle" AT THIS POINT STOP. DO NOT CONTINUE. YOU CANNOT READ MEANINGFUL CODES FROM THE EAS ECU. YOU MUST GET THIS PART WORKING FIRST.

When you click on "Read Faults" you'll see the numbers in the RX side change, with the first couple probably being "00 80" and you'll see a list of faults appear. 80 means "Vehicle Has Moved" and can be safely ignored.

Remember, if it lists more than about two or three lines of faults, you haven't connected to the ECU correctly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am fairly certain it is connecting properly. However, at my first opportunity, I will take a video to post of my computer screen and the process of connecting so we can verify.
Thank you.

·
Registered
238 Posts
OK Folks, I am back!!! Things are getting stranger than ever, to me, anyway.

So, here are two videos to show what I am seeing when trying to connect...
Ultimately, I am not able to get the fault codes, it only happened once, ever, in the video. Then I went to my mechanic and we scanned it with his SNAP ON and the codes are the same and there are MANY . The SNAP ON is able to read them and clear them. They appear immediately.
This is the first video (the only time I was able to read the codes) I am not sure I can even connect most of the time.
https://youtu.be/V6QsN1qu6a8

https://youtu.be/QHpA52PF0fc

Any help? This RSW software is not what it is cracked out to be...

·
Registered
772 Posts

As Gordon said, first of all, clean and check all the connections, there are known for getting grubby and loosing the tightness when connected, I know you say you'd rather pay someone to rebuild your valve block,, it's not rocket science to do, just a matter of remove and replace the o rings within the same..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts