RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife wanted to trade for LX with third seat, the RR stickered for 90k - they offered 71k trade in. So for the LX which stickered for 83 I would have to pay around 12k. Best thing - the RR is soo much nicer and now I have a reason to keep it!! I thought this was cool to find out though. More numbers coming from other dealers soon. I expect them to be about the same. I really like the improvements in the '10 compared to my '06 and look forward to staying wiht the Land Rover badge.

We had about 4 inches of snow today and with the TR and lo range was like driving on a dry road. My neighbor flipped his expedition on our road today thats how bad it was - he is looking at a land rover as I type this

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
yrbender said:
Wife wanted to trade for LX with third seat, the RR stickered for 90k - they offered 71k trade in. So for the LX which stickered for 83 I would have to pay around 12k. Best thing - the RR is soo much nicer and now I have a reason to keep it!! I thought this was cool to find out though. More numbers coming from other dealers soon. I expect them to be about the same. I really like the improvements in the '10 compared to my '06 and look forward to staying wiht the Land Rover badge.

We had about 4 inches of snow today and with the TR and lo range was like driving on a dry road. My neighbor flipped his expedition on our road today thats how bad it was - he is looking at a land rover as I type this
Low range is useless in snow FYI

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
yrbender said:
Going down a steep slope? Should I have been in hi range?
It would have been better to be in high range yeah... You have hill decent control, and if you're not comfortable with that put it in manual mode and leave it in 1st and ride the gear down the hill.

linuxfreakus said:
Torque != Traction :naughty:
Not when it's slippery out, you want less torque. Low range is for situations where you're looking for traction and can put lots of torque to use. You can't put lots of torque to use in 4" of snow, it's slippery... 2' of snow with mud tires I'd throw it in low range, otherwise it's best to leave it off in winter conditions.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Snow/ice: low range slow and steady is the way thats what its for. Actually not many times LR recommend low range but snow and ice is one I believe and it works well give it a go.

thats a big hit on a new car but like you said now your committed enjoy it. not much better in current conditions.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
daddyov8 said:
Snow/ice: low range slow and steady is the way thats what its for. Actually not many times LR recommend low range but snow and ice is one I believe and it works well give it a go.

thats a big hit on a new car but like you said now your committed enjoy it. not much better in current conditions.
That is not what low range is for and it isn't ideal, LOL.

Directly from the land rover off roading guide.

Ice and snow *** Highest gear possible for conditions

Rocky ground *** Low range 1st gear

D

·
0 Posts
yrbender said:

What 71K for your 2010 Rover?
your better off selling it to one of us for 80K

·
Registered
114 Posts
Rovers North has a rear seat for the RR, it faces backwards and really is only good for kids.

Instead of loosing 20K, plus the depreciation of the new truck, why not pick up a used LR3 or Disco2 for the times you need a 3rd row.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
brad s1 said:
daddyov8 said:

If you watch the Expert Ski Bus drivers in the Alps they drive pretty fast for the conditions but are always in control. I watched them carefully and they use Manual Gearboxes and are ALWAYS in a higher gear than you would expect and leave it in that high gear until absolutely necessary to change down. That's the same for going uphill & downhill as the high gears provides maximum traction using the engines low rev torque rather than low gear power. Always watch what the Experts do....

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Gazellio said:
brad s1 said:
daddyov8 said:

If you watch the Expert Ski Bus drivers in the Alps they drive pretty fast for the conditions but are always in control. I watched them carefully and they use Manual Gearboxes and are ALWAYS in a higher gear than you would expect and leave it in that high gear until absolutely necessary to change down. That's the same for going uphill & downhill as the high gears provides maximum traction using the engines low rev torque rather than low gear power. Always watch what the Experts do....
Good info! Low range has no business being on in slippery conditions, more proof... You guys engaging that should read the manual or take a class.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Must be this page you refer to;

P163 Off Road Driving;
Driving Techniques

DRIVING ON SLIPPERY SURFACES
(ice, snow, mud, wet grass)
•Select ‘D’ (drive) in LOW range.
•Drive away using the MINIMUM throttle
possible.
•Drive slowly at all times, keeping braking to
a minimum and avoiding violent
movements of the steering wheel

Or was it another page? (This is the same advice we were given on a snow course and it does work; admittedly usually only use it off road in more extreme conditions) Guess its personal preference.

Anyway each to their own its arriving safe that counts.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I guess if you had some really agressive tires/chains the low range might be of more use. In general though you want to use the minimum torque needed for the vehicle to move so the wheels don't spin. I don't think I've personally ever seen a public road where HDC would really be called for. Is your house on this street? http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05030/448976.stm?

·
Registered
293 Posts
yrbender said:

check this out...

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6242487/mis ... index.html

the lexus LX is the same as the Toyota Land Cruiser, you want the third row just to say you have a car with a 3rd row or would you actually plan on putting someone back there, who pissed you off?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gw2doc said:
yrbender said:

check this out...

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6242487/mis ... index.html

the lexus LX is the same as the Toyota Land Cruiser, you want the third row just to say you have a car with a 3rd row or would you actually plan on putting someone back there, who pissed you off?

Due to the date of publication I would assume that was the older body style. I have a 7 and 9 year old who will be in the third row. They're just happy to have their own space.

They are now at 3k with my RR I figure that is the price of the third row seat. I feel safer with my kids in a factory installed seat vs. something I throw in after market. I had one in my 06 and always kept close attention to how close the drivers were behind me. It is one ugly rig but leaning that way right now.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
daddyov8 said:
Must be this page you refer to;

P163 Off Road Driving;
Driving Techniques

DRIVING ON SLIPPERY SURFACES
(ice, snow, mud, wet grass)
•Select ‘D’ (drive) in LOW range.
•Drive away using the MINIMUM throttle
possible.
•Drive slowly at all times, keeping braking to
a minimum and avoiding violent
movements of the steering wheel

Or was it another page? (This is the same advice we were given on a snow course and it does work; admittedly usually only use it off road in more extreme conditions) Guess its personal preference.

Anyway each to their own its arriving safe that counts.
I don't know where you found that.

Maybe with studded tires, maybe thats in reference to a locking diff range and not a l322. It's pretty much common sense you don't want a low gear in snow/ice. Even if you take a second to think of the actual physics at play it doesn't add up...

Every time it snows I pull over, engage low range, drive about 100 feet, then switch it back to high range just to give the function some use and ensure it works... Inside that 100 feet the tires usually spin a bit, and I'm quick to shift it back into high range. Ever drive a standard trans in the snow? Do you drive around in 1st and 2nd gear the whole time? No! You run the high gear since torque is useless in slick conditions. Why would you want more torque on a surface that offers minimal traction?

Low range is good when you're rock crawling/mud with fat tires/etc

To each their own, not trying to argue, but low range in 4" of snow is ludicrous. Think about about it for a second. :thumb:

·
Registered
690 Posts
1. Those who say don't use high torque in difficult traction situations are correct. Therefore the higher gear the better for starting from a stopped position.

2. However, at least with the early Mark III's, as I recall the transmission only allows you to manually override the transmission completely in low range. So you can't start from a stop in second or third gear in high range. It will default to first gear. However, in low range, you can manually select and lock the gear so it is possible to start in low range in third or fourth gear, in priniciple. I don't have the manual with me (my range is still in the garage for a new rad) but one could check to see which low range gear one would use to get a starting gear higher than first gear in high range.

3. I don't know whether this applies to the 2006 and later models.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Norval said:
1. Those who say don't use high torque in difficult traction situations are correct. Therefore the higher gear the better for starting from a stopped position.

2. However, at least with the early Mark III's, as I recall the transmission only allows you to manually override the transmission completely in low range. So you can't start from a stop in second or third gear in high range. It will default to first gear. However, in low range, you can manually select and lock the gear so it is possible to start in low range in third or fourth gear, in priniciple. I don't have the manual with me (my range is still in the garage for a new rad) but one could check to see which low range gear one would use to get a starting gear higher than first gear in high range.

3. I don't know whether this applies to the 2006 and later models.
In my 2007 I have the "Terrain Reponse" dial including a SNOW/ICE setting. It would be interesting to know what settings/gears/ratios are applied when using this mode. I have been using it where the Snow/Ice is thick but turning it off where roads have been gritted. Its feels like its a low ratio/high gear combo but I will need to find out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts