RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I wanted to change lettering on my RRS for a while as original letters had deteriorated and looked ugly. I kne I would need some kind of polisher as area inside the letters could never be cleaned well and was really contaminated.
So I went to the store picked up an orbital polisher, some foam pads and mild polishing compound, as it is first time I'd be doing the polishing, I did not want to use anything aggressive as trip to autobodyshop and repainting the hood was not part of the plan. Well, it was easier then I thought. I took some basic measurements - distance from bottom of the letters to the edge of a hood, was about 22-23mm. I had left a slight shadow after old letters to give me some guidance, just in case.
Anyway - look at the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did anyone tried this cleaner? Supposedly it is clay in the spray and reacts with contaminants embedded in paint and changes color when does... I went to carwash then washed the car again at home and sprayed this and OMG!!! this thing worked, every litlle tiny dot started "bleeding" sort of maroon color while reacting with spray. Paint was so much smoother after that. This may not be as strong and efficient as manual claying but surely made surface so much smoother - and you don't have to do anything - which is awesome!
Guys, I had ordered silver gloss "RANGE ROVER" letters loooooooong time ago and cant return it, dont even remember where did I order it from... My RRS had brushed silver, If your LR has glossy lettering and you surely will use it, I am willing to give this away - it is actually Genuine part. Again - only thing I am asking is that you use it, not just throw it on the shelf. Send me a PM so we can figure out how to get it shipped. Pic is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
730 Posts
A lot of effort when replacement kits are available for probably less than the gear you bought to refurbish yours.

Garry

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Garry, are you sure you had commented in proper thread?
There is no gear involved in the conversation...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Garry, are you sure you had commented in proper thread?
There is no gear involved in the conversation...
Yes proper thread - you said "So I went to the store picked up an orbital polisher, some foam pads and mild polishing compound, as it is first time I'd be doing the polishing," this is the gear I was referring too - probably cheaper to just buy a new lettering kit.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, by gear you meant all tools and means... Got it.
What it is lettering kit? I mean I bought new letters, before replacing them, simply wanted to buff-up surface under and close around because once new letters go on, it will be difficult. Obviously, I will go over the rest of the Rover.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You can buy kits that come with the letters Eg Range Rover, or Landrover or if a LR3/4 Discovery etc in the colour you want - includes equipment to remove the old letters, cleaning solution for the surface, and the template to ensure all goes back in the correct place - easy peasy.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I bought letters with with foam enclosure to keep the proper spacing, didnt you see the pictures? As far as other things that you say - part of the kit, I wanted something to polish whole car, not just under/near letters and I have 2 more cars to care for...
So in my case - the venue I took, works for me.
If you can post links to full set of letter changing gear, would be very nice of you, so others can use it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You can google it as well as I can - there are youtube videos in it as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Agree as well, powerfulluk sells kits that are in reasonable price as well. Doesn’t matter how you do it, results speak for them selfs. Polisher is good to have ether way. One thing to keep in mind is you decide to ceramic coat it or use sealants before applying the letters as the glue won’t stick as well to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks great, I need to do the same to mine!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was mentioned in other replies that there is complete kit with means to clean paint surface once letters are removed. Because letters are raised, that area never cleans well and very contaminated. If you dont have rotary polisher, please make sure lettering kit will have means and ways to decontaminate paint in that area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts