RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i recently blew the head gaskets on my range rover, and with the help of my cousin and a machine shop i was able to re-do the heads. Here's the pictures i took - i forgot to take them of the actual heads before they were machined.
Zach

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you did your own machine shop work, you do nice work. Those are nice and tidy. Those valve covers were skankeeee.

Scott

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why would you think the motor is knackered? I didn't machine the heads, but got them done at a local shop for $185.00.. the bottom of the motor seemed to be holding great compression. It's running really well, i just need to find the temperature sensor, and plug it back up before i can really drive it around.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
ZLandrum said:
why would you think the motor is knackered? I didn't machine the heads, but got them done at a local shop for $185.00.. the bottom of the motor seemed to be holding great compression. It's running really well, i just need to find the temperature sensor, and plug it back up before i can really drive it around.
That gunk is usually caused by a combination of blowback and poor servicing. Poor servicing also means that a lot of that crap was circulating through the motor. Both these indicate that your bearings and rings are stuffed. what was your compression and what oil pressure do you have with what oil.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
201 Posts
add in a real temperature gauge the stock Range Rover gauge is completely worthless anyone relying on it a fool. I cant emphasize this enough.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soo... i got everything hooked up right, and making sure everything's good to go. When i tried to crank it i was getting "CLUMK! CLUMK!" so i took off the starter again, and felt the flywheel with my fingers, and i think maybe one of the teeth is chipped - so i put the starter back in again and tried turning it over, got a couple of CLUMK!s and was going to just give it up when it turned it over... so with it running i was under the hood checking everything to make sure all is good when after it warmed up to medium i noticed some sort of liquid coming out of the dip stick.... and burning on the exhaust manifold... i turned it off and am letting it sit, i'll give it yet another oil change later and try it again, and when i change the oil i'll look for water too. Any ideas as to what may be the problem??? i just re-did all of the heads and pretty much everything associated with them, besides the actual block... please any help is appreciated, more than you know!!

Zach

·
Registered
272 Posts
There are only supposed to be two fluids in the crankcase: motor oil and air. Neither is supposed to come out the dipstick tube. If you have coolant in the crankcase, you have to find out where the coolant passage vents into an oil passage. Remember that oil floats on coolant, so if you have coolant in the sump then it is getting pumped to the main bearings, and that is terrible for longevity. If you have coolant in the sump, then you will probably be taking the heads off again to find the leak.

Scott

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
ZLandrum said:
Soo... i got everything hooked up right, and making sure everything's good to go. When i tried to crank it i was getting "CLUMK! CLUMK!" so i took off the starter again, and felt the flywheel with my fingers, and i think maybe one of the teeth is chipped - so i put the starter back in again and tried turning it over, got a couple of CLUMK!s and was going to just give it up when it turned it over... so with it running i was under the hood checking everything to make sure all is good when after it warmed up to medium i noticed some sort of liquid coming out of the dip stick.... and burning on the exhaust manifold... i turned it off and am letting it sit, i'll give it yet another oil change later and try it again, and when i change the oil i'll look for water too. Any ideas as to what may be the problem??? i just re-did all of the heads and pretty much everything associated with them, besides the actual block... please any help is appreciated, more than you know!!

Zach
As previously indicated, I think your motor has excessive blowback. This can force air (and oil) out the dipstick if it is really bad.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally, the word "ROVER" was cast there, but then it was removed from the dies when the engines started being sold to other companies for use in other cars and trucks.

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts