RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone at all figured out how to get the RAVE to work with a newer version of Adobe Acrobat?

·
Registered
463 Posts
New Acro sucks with the Rave. I had it un-installed and put the old one in again

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Dan, detroit_pierogi, copied out all the .pdf's and had them working in a stand-alone fashion - wasn't really that great, tho, as the index was missing. There was anther discussion on using Acrobat 8, but it seemed to be a PITA. Why - what features are you missing?

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Have only ever been able to get it run reliably with all links intact by using the CD version of Rave with the supplied Acrobat Reader.

If you don't want to leave the CD inserted, but want to have Rave available whenever you want it, here's what works for me:
1. create an ISO image of the Rave CD and leave it on your hard drive
2. keep the original CD in a safe location in case you ever need it again
3. mount the ISO image to a virtual CD drive whenever you want to use Rave

I use this method to keep a copy of Rave handy - on my main laptop/PC, on the garage PC, and on the laptop/car PC.

In a little more detail:
Most CD burning software these days has the option to burn an image of a CD and store it in a disk file on your hard drive. Common formats are ISO, NRG and BIN. Other programs such as UltraISO are excellent tools for creating, managing and burning these images.
Virtual CD drive utilities such as Daemon Tools, or the one that comes with UltraISO, read the ISO image file and mount it to a spare drive letter on your computer (e.g. E, F,...Z, whatever) and as far your PC is concerned it is just another CD drive.

Tip: There is no problem having a different version of Acrobat installed on your PC, but it should not be running when you launch Rave.

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
640 Posts
All I did was create a new folder and called it Rave,then copy and paste all the contents of the Rave CD to it.
Go into Programmes, Land Rover and send a Shortcut to Rave to your Desktop and Job Done no need for disc to view.
Works fine with the copy of Adobe included on the Rave CD not really sure why you want to run it with a later version.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Col said:
All I did was create a new folder and called it Rave,then copy and paste all the contents of the Rave CD to it.
Go into Programmes, Land Rover and send a Shortcut to Rave to your Desktop and Job Done no need for disc to view.
Works fine with the copy of Adobe included on the Rave CD not really sure why you want to run it with a later version.

Cheers
zactly :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
More than a year ago, I cracked it a second time. All of the bookmarks were preserved. Bookmarks are Acrobat lingo for what Steve referred to as the Index. In the new(er) one, the entire folder structure and all (sub)bookmarks were maintained.

Once you have those PDFs, you don't actually need Rave (the program and its interface, I mean). I do not have it installed on this computer.

The thing about Acrobat is that there's 1. Acrobat Reader and then there 2. Adobe Acrobat (the real deal program). There are a number of reasons why it is better to access it through a later version of Acrobat Reader, but a good bit of the cool stuff is how the PDFs can be used by those with later versions of Acrobat. There's no security stuff on it. You can export / print certain pages, search for specific words (or strings) throughout the docs, add sticky notes, add audio notes - you name it.

The pulling of the PDFs out of Rave and making them compatible with newer version of Acrobat apparently has another benefit: It allows Mac users to access the Rave pages, which (at that time, anyway) they were unable to do.

If anybody wants a copy, just send me a PM. It's free for nothin'. Like I said - it has the complete and entire index, in full detail. Steve, I think you would really like this one a lot more :D

Dan

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Interesting.

How do you extract the pdfs fro the Rave CD and still preserve the indexing structure?

Do tell!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts