RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been working to restore a 1997 Vitesse to daily driver status and the forums have been amazingly helpful (diagnosing ABS issues; sorting transfer care switch motor problems, etc...). Now, I'm looking for insight into an unexpected problem. After splitting and stacking wood for a neighbor, he did me the 'kindness' of power washing my engine (without asking)-- ugh! My fuse box cover blew off and the fuses/relays were soaked. He came to get me when the engine spontaneously started. I tried to shut it off and it just kept going. I quickly disconnected the battery and toweled the box contents as best I could but, as the temp was 20f/-6C, everything froze quickly. The weather warmed-up a bit today and so I had another go.

I ran a string of extension cords from my barn and went to work with a hair dryer. It looked good, so I reconnected the battery and started the engine. To my relief, it started right up (though it seemed to be idling a bit fast). My relief was temporary as my climate control was dark and the blowers didn't come on. I found the F42 fuse had blown. I replaced it but no change. As I was starting to snow again, I went to shut the Rover off-- but it just stayed on. I couldn't see anything from a visual exam of the fuse box, so I pulled the R15 relay. The engine went off. When I tried putting it back in place, the relay literally buzzed and rattled, so I quickly pulled it again.

The Rover had been someone else's project and came with another fuse box (quite used), which still had some intact relays. I swapped the R15 from that box, with no buzzing or rattling this time, and the engine fired right up. Climate control still dark but, as the snow was falling more heavily now, I went to shut it down again-- with the same result. The Rover continued to run. I quickly disconnected the battery, had another go with the hair dryer, and tried again-- with the same results.

The battery is now disconnected. I found a 2012 post that addressed this, but it went off onto solving an odometer problem and didn't really come back to answer the engine issue. Could anyone point me to a good, next step???

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You need a NEW fusebox. It has to be the correct one for your VIN and messing around with used ones just isn't worth the risk, all you are likely to do is cure some faults and introduce others. Island4x4 in the UK is the cheapest place to get them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a NEW fusebox. It has to be the correct one for your VIN and messing around with used ones just isn't worth the risk, all you are likely to do is cure some faults and introduce others. Island4x4 in the UK is the cheapest place to get them.
Thanks very much Richard. I will, and I will buy new. As I looked over the existing fuse box, I found that it had markings from the scrapyard it came from (as well as cracks). I'll visit Island 4x4 now.

Many thanks (again),

John

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
I would start by taking the old fusebox out, opening it up, let it dry, clean and inspect before buying a new one. You should have taken it out as soon as possible, instead of leaving it wet and cold... The sooner you deal with water ingress problems, to more chance you have of success. And it takes no more time then fiddling with extension cords and a hairdryer. ;-)
Filip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts