RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been displaying the 0011 OBD code and it calls for the Crank Position Sensor which I will change tomorrow. However, this morning when I started the car a strange rattle was evident in the area of the water pump etc and I looked over the engine and the serpentine belt is fine.

I hope is not the Timing Chain, I just did the valve cover gaskets recently, but I did not liked the sound. With fear to bend a valve and screw up my engine I turned off . I have checked the oil for metalflake and nothing was evident. Could it be the belt tensioners and if so with 125,500 miles do you suggest a chain change and water pump at the same time?
My car is immaculate inside and out so getting rid of it is not an option.

Could this noise be related to the sensor issue?
I don't even want to consider going to the dealer for their only concern is to make money hand over fist and could care less about customer relations. I have had a couple of negative experiences with the dealership so I must use an independent mechanic that I trust. I do have one but he did say to me that this could be above his comfort level.

Your thoughts and suggestions on this matter are appreciated.
Sincerely
Lou

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
Re: Rattling noise in the front of the engine--HELP!!!!!!!!!

That code isn't for the crank sensor, but rather it's stating that the position of the camshafts is off in relation to the crankshaft. Couple that with a rattling, and I'd say you likely need to check your guides :(

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That code isn't for the crank sensor, but rather it's stating that the position of the camshafts is off in relation to the crankshaft. Couple that with a rattling, and I'd say you likely need to check your guides :(
Well when I read the code it read Crank position sensor. Now going back to the guides, you are talking about the timing chain guides? How costly and involved is this repair? My mechanic is trepidant for it being too involved... I have no one to do this, the dealer is out of the question. If this work is performed would it be sensible to also change the water pump?
tks
Lou

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
879 Posts

I just finished this job on mine. Here is what you are looking at...

1) Valve covers have to come off, so new seals for those
2) Upper timing cover gaskets, including tensioner washer and vanos solenoid seals
3) Lower timing cover gaskets.
4) 2 guides, center and left
5) tensioner bar, right
6) Vanos repair kit while you are in there.
7) New upper and lower chains
8) New upper chain guides.
9) Water pump gasket and tube seals
10) crank front seal

I did not replace my water pump, as I am not a fan of preventive part replacement. I have seen original pumps go 300k miles, and new pumps fail in 10k. Plus, the pump is on the front of the engine and easy to get to.

As you can tell, this a a huge job. Parts are in the range of $1100. If you are paying for labor, look for at least $2k from an independent shop.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/169985-timing-cover-gaskets-crank-nut-torque-2004-a-2.html#post1232433

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/172345-2004-oil-pump.html#post1236065

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/173570-ode-2003-2005-engine-rattle.html#post1250418

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I just finished this job on mine. Here is what you are looking at...

1) Valve covers have to come off, so new seals for those
2) Upper timing cover gaskets, including tensioner washer and vanos solenoid seals
3) Lower timing cover gaskets.
4) 2 guides, center and left
5) tensioner bar, right
6) Vanos repair kit while you are in there.
7) New upper and lower chains
8) New upper chain guides.
9) Water pump gasket and tube seals
10) crank front seal

I did not replace my water pump, as I am not a fan of preventive part replacement. I have seen original pumps go 300k miles, and new pumps fail in 10k. Plus, the pump is on the front of the engine and easy to get to.

As you can tell, this a a huge job. Parts are in the range of $1100. If you are paying for labor, look for at least $2k from an independent shop.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/169985-timing-cover-gaskets-crank-nut-torque-2004-a-2.html#post1232433

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/172345-2004-oil-pump.html#post1236065

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/173570-ode-2003-2005-engine-rattle.html#post1250418
Question:
Do you need any special tools only for RR or any software to time the engine after the job is done?
I was quoted $3800.00 by LR dealership in NJ parts and labor for 17+ hrs.
Lou

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Tks Bud I am still dealing as to whom will be the doer, I certainly can't and my mechanic is still pondering about its difficulty and whether he can do this. I admire his honesty though.
Lou

·
Registered
879 Posts

You do need the following special tools, which are for the BMW M62...

Fan clutch wrench...$45
Cam timing kit...$250
Crank bolt removal tool...?? I fashioned one from bar stock.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You do need the following special tools, which are for the BMW M62...

Fan clutch wrench...$45
Cam timing kit...$250
Crank bolt removal tool...?? I fashioned one from bar stock.
thank you so much

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts

If taking this project on you can also borrow or rent tools from one of your local parts houses.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I can look into that

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well this morning I received the sad news that my trustworthy mechanic does not feel confident enough to embark in this job, he was candid enough to let me know that. I am having Antistealership anxiety for I can feel that the estimate of $3500.00 will have babies and end up paying probably $5000.00 . That being said, I will gather all my fortitude and bite the bullet and take the car to them. Prestige Land Rover Paramus, NJ. I hope that this is not going to become a nightmare. Wish me luck:pray:

·
Registered
879 Posts

Sorry, been off line for a while. The only issue I can say about the dealer doing the work is that that they will want to replace the Vanos units with new. The Beisan website posted above has a kit to re-seal the originals for about $150. That could be a difference of some real money! But, it is definitely worth replacing/resealing the vanos while you are in the car that deep. If you don't, you will be upset at spending so much and still having a start-up rattle. Mine is still going strong with no obnoxious start-up rattle.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good luck Lou, I hope it all works out the best it can for U. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
172 Posts
BTW Lou are you sure about the diagnosis? Could the fault code and engine clatter just be a coincidence? Did you change the crank sensor to see if it fixed the fault? Maybe your water pump is bad. Better be sure before the dealer tears into it. Did they give you the diagnosis or did you diagnose that it's the guides yourself? Just curious. Worth another look or 3rd opinion. No import or BMW shops near you?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BTW Lou are you sure about the diagnosis? Could the fault code and engine clatter just be a coincidence? Did you change the crank sensor to see if it fixed the fault? Maybe your water pump is bad. Better be sure before the dealer tears into it. Did they give you the diagnosis or did you diagnose that it's the guides yourself? Just curious. Worth another look or 3rd opinion. No import or BMW shops near you?
I thought about that, but all point to the chain guides, I have not changed the Crank sensor yet because the noise came up before I git it changed... I will keep you guys posted tks a lot bud.
Lou

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is what the noise sounds like

[video]https://www.facebook.com/louis.m.irizarry/videos/10205731007906949/[/video]

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well got my $1268.00 worth of parts, appointment with the dealer is on July 1st wish me luck that this repair does not have babies... if you what I mean. Things tend to multiply like rabbits at the dealer (stealer).
I will keep all posted.
Lou

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well got my $1268.00 worth of parts, appointment with the dealer is on July 1st wish me luck that this repair does not have babies... if you what I mean. Things tend to multiply like rabbits at the dealer (stealer).
I will keep all posted.
Lou
Let us know how it goes. Are you currently driving the truck with the noise or is it parked somewhere? Sux but it could happen to any one of us...Good luck Lou...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let us know how it goes. Are you currently driving the truck with the noise or is it parked somewhere? Sux but it could happen to any one of us...Good luck Lou...
Oh no I would not risk driving it with the noise. The only thing I need is skip the chain, bend a valve and damage a piston= new engine. Nope it is parked and will be flatbed to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts