RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 LWB . just developed a rattling cat; the one on the drivers side. the local good
exhaust guy says he will put a new one In for me. Which one do I buy? Magnaflow or eastern or someone else. I'm looking for the closest sized one to my original.

any experience out there?

thx geneo

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
ATB has some in stock, I don't know what year you have, (time to put it in your signature!), but I'll assume LWB via your name.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ESR3060
your exhaust guy can likely weld in a replacement cat without having to do the whole Y-pipe. If you go the route of the Y-pipe, just do it yourself? Save the fees... just get alot of penetrating oil.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I replaced mine last year - Eastern Catalytic I think. It took a bit of work to get it lined up - getting the second side attached to the manifold wasn't too bad, but it needed some minor adjustment. I needed to put a strap on the output pipe to pull/bend it so it lined up with the rear system, it wasn't even close. Not a huge deal, but it definitely wasn't just remove and replace. Purchased from RockAuto.com, if you search for "RockAuto coupon" you'll probably find a code for 10% off which I think paid for the shipping when I got mine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I replaced mine last year - Eastern Catalytic I think. It took a bit of work to get it lined up - getting the second side attached to the manifold wasn't too bad, but it needed some minor adjustment. I needed to put a strap on the output pipe to pull/bend it so it lined up with the rear system, it wasn't even close. Not a huge deal, but it definitely wasn't just remove and replace. Purchased from RockAuto.com, if you search for "RockAuto coupon" you'll probably find a code for 10% off which I think paid for the shipping when I got mine.
Interesting... i have always steered clear of rock auto for rover parts for the additionals. Good to hear it worked!

I did the Ypipe from AB and it was pretty much remove and replace. Luckily it was on sale by 100... and they had some BS coupon. To the OP, if you are ordering the entire assembly and want a bolt on off solution call Lucky8... they have good pricing. Shipping is the killer.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
I'll add that I got the just that he wanted something OEM.. hence my due suggestion.

You can get pretty much any cat similar in size.. shouldn't be more than $120.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I'm very happy with the Magnaflows, its helped my 95 RRC blow the lowest emissions in the 17+ yrs I've owned her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all. I am going to just replace the one bad cat. the magnaflow "direct fit" costs$77.00 and the muffler shop guy says $65.00 for install. I don't want to deal with the extra expense and particularly the hassle of trying to fit an aftermarket Y pipe that's probably not a true "direct fit" haven't talked to Brad @ AB yet to see if the one they sell really fits. Anyway I did learn that you don't want the rattle piece to break loose cuz it can get sucked back up the pipe, cause one cylinder to get hot and burn the exhaust valve. True or not, I'm not the one who is going to test the theory!

at this point i'm going with pl626 suggestion on the Magnaflows. 1995 LWB!!

geneo

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
not true but the pieces will be pushed further down the exhaust thus causing restrictions and partial blockage thus loss performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts