RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I figured it would happen eventually since we live in the woods, but it appears that some manner of Rodentia have nested in my '17 after pulling some firewall material, and chewed through all sorts of wiring - causing about $600 worth of damage. Trigged a CEL, but I'm happy it didn't send the car up in flames!

Anyone here have suggestions on how to prevent and avoid these types of issues in the future? I've seen rodent sprays, ultrasonic devices, and even folks using chicken wire under the engine, but not sure how effective these are.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Most likely field mice, chicken wire would be useless as they can get through anything about 1/2" in circumference. How long has your rig been sitting? Usually anything that moves they don;t mess with. Rodent sprays will keep them at bay, but would have to be reapplied after each drive in the rain. A couple of mouse/rat baits under the hood would get rid of them, but you would have to remember to remove them when you do drive it. I had good luck with my packards, that sat for weeks at a time, with a tray of moth balls under the hood. At a stretch mice and rats hate peppermint oil and cloves. Spray some oil on the cowling and hood pad... you just have to decide if you want to smell like chewing gum or autumn baked goods. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The problem is, some wire insulation contains Soy Bean, which Rhodents really like. I had the same problem about a year ago, the Tech who was doing a routine service found the damage. Luckily it was “only” $400 worth , but can turn out to be thousands on a main harness.

One method to prevent this is to roll up some Laundry Dryer sheets and stuff them into some strategic locations, but you have to change them monthly. Or, Honda sell insulation tape which is Rhodent repellent.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I recall a Car Talk episode where a caller had this issue I think. Of course I'm sure the answer was mostly jokes and bs but I do have a couple of suggestions:

- You could build a metal perimeter around where you park the car with any sort of conductive material, think aluminum foil tape, and then run electricity through it. I use a similar setup with a car battery around some plants to keep out snails. But I'm sure YouTube has some great things you can rig up. However if you're parked under a tree or something that won't help much as they can climb down onto the car. Also, be sure not to cause a fire by accident. Here's a setup that seems to work for this guy: http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-electric-fence-for-mice/
- Leave the car on highest lift setting when sitting. This may not help much but it will certainly make it a little tougher on them.

I don't think any amount of insulation is really going to work because they can get into a 1/2" crawl space and you certainly can't safely insulate to that level. Sprays suck too cause they can damage surfaces, stink, and they have to be re-applied all the time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL @ the electrical perimeter - I'm not sure the campgrounds hosts / rangers would approve of that.. Worked well on the snails and slugs when we had a house though!

On the dryer sheets, where in the engine bay might that be appropriate to not cause fires?

I was reading more on the sprays and they indeed do smell a bit off, and I'm sure that might attract other non-Rodentia critters. Perhaps the Honda rodent tape might help on the wiring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Get a cat.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,705 Posts
Trez, most hilarious post in ages... talk about jokes and BS. Yea let's keep rodent out and cattle in with electric fences.... The old cow in the household will LOVE having to maneuver her way around the fencing to drive her Rover to market.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: We got the car back from the dealer. (Thank you LR Portland - fantastic turnaround time, and not too bad price!)

The rat made a nest between the engine cover and the engine, using engine cover foam insulation and dry leaves as nest material. They also chewed completely through the wiring harness for the Supercharger air intake temperature sensor, which caused the CEL. Harness was replaced, then wires were spliced and taped up. Also replaced pads/rotors, and did the 32,000 mile service early. $3300

IMG_1612.jpg

Looking back, it seems that the rat visited us when we were camped at Wright's Beach near Bodega Bay, CA. Incredible views that week though, so was well worth the trouble!

IMG_1164.jpg

Get a cat.
We almost did! When we were at New Brighton State Beach, a VERY friendly stray visited us nearly every day begging for milk! Unfortunately the cat did not want to stay inside our Airstream and preferred to hunt rodents. :)

M10B6943.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts