RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 P38 4.6 and I'm unable to engage the low range. I was wheeling last week and noticed when moving into Low range something got 'stuck' in Neutral, no drive gear at any position and when I attempted to place the shifter into Park, a grinding noise occurred, I didn't force it, but returned to other gear movements. After a few movements between H and L it finally went into Low range.
After we were done getting muddy - I put it back into High, but now it won't change back to Low range.

My dash displays the gears and audible, the H shifter led's show amber on low side. I removed the motor from the transfer case, and verified that when the shifter was moved to the low side, the worm gear rotated, in both directions. While I had the motor off, I was able to turn the transfer case spindle relatively easily with pliers. I noticed when I reinstalled the motor, there was tension and I had to pull down slightly to align the bolt holes.

I also have a P0741 torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck error, would this prevent the low range operation?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
361 Posts
Are you standing completely still when changing from high to low and vice versa?

How often is the TC oil changed? Did you change from high to low every now and again to keep it going/preventing it gets stuck?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck is stationary when changing from high to low, and even when moving I get the slow down warning, then stop and try changing to low. I replaced the Morse chain about 30K miles ago and filled with new oil but haven't used low range that much until recently.

I've removed the motor and using a gear from another motor, have found that there is considerable tension when moving the transfer case shaft from high to low (counter clockwise). When I encounter that spot, it requires a bit of effort to move past and I noticed the brake drum move/loosen. Once the brake drum has "released" (for lack of a better description) I can freely move the transfer case shaft in both directions.
With the motor still off but hanging from the wiring harness, I start the truck and verify by moving that low range works, then I manually turn the shaft clockwise to engage high range and start the truck and verify high works. The change motor also rotates left and right during this exercise.

When I put the change motor back in place, I notice there is considerable tension to align the bolt holes, I have to pull down on the motor body to get the small bolt started. Is that normal???

Once the motor is in place, I start the truck and while not moving engage low range, all indications in the dash appear normal, except it is still in high range. I then remove the motor and repeat above steps, verifying the same spot where the transfer case shaft is very hard to move, and the same condition with the brake drum exists. I've loosened the park brake adjusting screw all the way but that hasn't seemed to resolve the issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts