RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents,

I drove my Range today to a conference and was there (aside from a 30 minute run midday) till 4pm and there was no problem to and from the conference center. When I got home, I found that a FM/Bluetooth device/mp3 gadget I bought for use in the Range had arrived so I went to configure it in the car. After a few minutes of having the car on but not started, I decided to started it and a barely a minute after I started it, it died off. I tried again and it wouldn't stay on. I noticed the oil indicator would flicker on and off while trying to stay on then it would go off with the car. I am waiting till tomorrow morning to make sure the engine is completely cooled down to go check the oil to make sure I don't have an empty oil container.

Please I'd appreciate any insights to possible causes based on my description above. Also I notice that there was no Check Engine Light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so I checked again this morning and the car would attempt to turn but wouldn't start fully. I also checked the oil gauge/dip stick which read closer to the low end (owners manual says to add half a liter at this level) and then I read the codes on the car where I got the following from my OBDII scanner:

P1117 - Manufacturer controlled fuel & air metering.
P0030 - H02S Bank 1 Sensor 1 Heater Circuit
P0134 - 02 Sensor CKT No Activity (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Any thoughts outside of my suspicion that I need an new O2 sensor for Bank 1?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
When I had an oxygen sensor fail the engine management light came on and the car still ran. With code P1117 could this be an airflow (MAF) sensor problem.
Stewart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SGW said:
When I had an oxygen sensor fail the engine management light came on and the car still ran. With code P1117 could this be an airflow (MAF) sensor problem.
Stewart.
Hi Stewart,
Does an MAF sensor problem make the car unable to start? I am hoping someone could give me an idea of what is wrong so I can try to get it to start and drive it to the repair shop instead of having to tow it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
I'm sure you have already considered it , but have you disconnected the new gadget to see if it sorts its self.... or didn't you get to finish it off due to the problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lee_D said:
I'm sure you have already considered it , but have you disconnected the new gadget to see if it sorts its self.... or didn't you get to finish it off due to the problem?
Thanks for your response Lee,

I did disconnect the new gadget (http://www.amazon.com/Soundfly-Ultimate-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Player/dp/B001DDE4VY/ref=pd_sim_auto_10 ) which transmits mp3 music and phone conversations through the radio via FM and gets powered via the power outlet by the gear shifter.

What I noticed earlier this morning was that when I turn the key to start the car, it tries cranking and even when I let go of the key, it continues like I still have my hand on it so I'm suspecting the starter since it was supposedly fixed a couple of months ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
When you let go of the key and it continues to crank, I believe that is normal. "Lazy Start" or some feature like that. Try cleaning the MAF sensor since you got a code for that, but I would have expected a check engine light. I've heard it's simple to clean. Try a search. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gazellio said:
Yet another problem! You must be getting fed up :crybaby2:
Sir G,

Yes another problem but I'm a stubborn person so I will tame this wild stallion. :D Almost all my cars for the last 10 years have been German & British and they have all being very finicky mistresses (Previously an Audi A8L, BMW 740i & LR Disco; currently the 3 in my signature picture) so I bought an Acura RL (gloried Honda Accord) last month to be my backup car if/when all the European cars act up. `)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RattleItHome said:
When you let go of the key and it continues to crank, I believe that is normal. "Lazy Start" or some feature like that. Try cleaning the MAF sensor since you got a code for that, but I would have expected a check engine light. I've heard it's simple to clean. Try a search. Good luck.
Sir R,

I didn't know the Rangie had the lazy start feature even though it briefly crossed my mind that it might be the case since I have that feature in the Phaeton and Touareg. I'll reach out to my indy to see if he could swing by and help clean the MAF as you recommended. Thanks for the recommendation. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
maverixz said:
Gazellio said:
Yet another problem! You must be getting fed up :crybaby2:
Sir G,

Yes another problem but I'm a stubborn person so I will tame this wild stallion. :D Almost all my cars for the last 10 years have been German & British and they have all being very finicky mistresses (Previously an Audi A8L, BMW 740i & LR Disco; currently the 3 in my signature picture) so I bought an Acura RL (gloried Honda Accord) last month to be my backup car if/when all the European cars act up. `)
You have/had some great cars and in my opinion have been unlucky as most of these have a great reputation for reliability. Be interested to hear about the Phaeton as I looked one before the first FFRR some time back and was impressed by the engineering and finish but not crazy (enough) on the look.

Chin up and keep getting it fixed - it vill verk en de end :pray:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gazellio said:
You have/had some great cars and in my opinion have been unlucky as most of these have a great reputation for reliability. Be interested to hear about the Phaeton as I looked one before the first FFRR some time back and was impressed by the engineering and finish but not crazy (enough) on the look.

Chin up and keep getting it fixed - it vill verk en de end :pray:
The Disco was the most problematic of the previous 3 but the Audi A8L was my favorite and the best fuel economy wise. Currently, the best behaved is the Phaeton (W12) which is also my favorite. I told the fellas on a Phaeton forum that the Range is a problematic Phaeton on stilts. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gazellio said:
Its great value second hand for a car which is essentially a W12 Bently GT !
It is most definitely the best deal out there for a premium luxo barge. Imagine basically driving a Bentley Flying Spur for almost 1/8th of its brand new price. `)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,119 Posts
I think VW should have put much more thought into the Front Grille for such a premium car. After all part of buying a fantastically engineered prestigious super-barge is making sure everyone knows your driving one!

I found a very low mileage (3k) black as new 2009 for £28950 and could have got it for less than £25000 from a main dealer . What a car for that money. Shame they have to give them away as they are a brilliant bit of kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gazellio said:
I think VW should have put much more thought into the Front Grille for such a premium car. After all part of buying a fantastically engineered prestigious super-barge is making sure everyone knows your driving one!

I found a very low mileage (3k) black as new 2009 for £28950 and could have got it for less than £25000 from a main dealer . What a car for that money. Shame they have to give them away as they are a brilliant bit of kit.
I think the large VW logo on the grill and truck was a kind of "thumb in the nose" gesture from Ferdinand Peich to BMW, Benz et al. Btw, we are envious of you guys because you have it good down there that you can still buy new ones. I'm presuming the low mileage one you found for 28K pounds is a V6 3.0 TDI or V8.42? Per a source in Europe, the sales of the car outside North America isn't too bad even with the VW badge.

2009 Sales figures for:

GERMANY
7,352 BMW 6
6,617 Mercedes S
2,013 Audi A8
1,955 VW Phaeton
1,819 Mercedes CLS
1,102 Porsche Panamera
931 BMW 6
612 Mercedes CL
265 Jaguar XJ
122 Maserati Quattroporte
243 Bentley
108 Lamborghini
61 Lexus LS
31 Maybach
14 RR Phantom

SWITZERLAND
362 Mercedes S
294 BMW 7
143 Porsche Panamera
100 Bentley
82 Lamborghini
74 Audi A8
51 VW Phaeton
25 RR Phantom
17 Lexus LS
3 Maybach

NETHERLANDS
277 BMW 7
169 Mercedes S
71 Audi A8
49 Porsche Panamera
31 VW Phaeton
19 Lexus LS
12 Bentley
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is a great engine. I wish I could get my hands on a V10 or V12 TDI on this end of the pond.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on Rangie that wouldn't start.

An acquaintance stopped by today who is a mechanic so I told him about the Rangie and he went over the car to see why it wouldn't start. First place he checked was the MAF sensor, which turned out to be clean, then he went and loosened a hose to see if the engine was getting fuel when cranked, found out there was no fuel being supplied to the engine. Went to the trunk and opened the fuse box to check if the fuel relay was bad, tested it by switching it with another relay and said it wasn't the problem so he thinks it is the fuel pump. /:(

Any other ideas and reliable sources for fuel pump purchase would be appreciated.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top