RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all probably a question thats been asked somewhere before, but being a newbie I need to ask it. My 2.5 dse will not pull away in drive but if I put it in 1 or 2 it's fine then switch to drive & all is well until I stop. I then repeat the process of 1 or 2 then drive? Any IDEAS ON WHAT THE FAULT IS & WHAT COSTS MIGHT BE INCURRED IN REPAIRING IT?:?:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Quote: "A sprag clutch has "inverted" and will need replacing. No further damage will occur if you continue to drive but you will need to select "1" every time to start moving. A rebuild is required to correct this."

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/4hp22-faq-s.html

Swapping a gearbox expect to pay around £350 just for labour with an indy.

Ashcrofts rebuild boxes for £1000+. Also Emmotts also supply and fit s/h boxes. Or try Ebay.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
I've got a second hand 2.5 DSE gearbox and torque convertor sitting in the workshop at the moment from the last vehicle myself and a mate took apart for spares. Think it's listed on eBay with the transfer case aswell, but can split it if required.

No use to me (sadly as my autobox could do with swapping! it's pretty clunky and whines a lot!) as I've got the V8 with the HP24 box, and this is the HP22.

Drop me a message if you are interested - my other plan for it is just to call up Ashcrofts or someone like that and see if they want to buy it as core for their stock. Wasn't anything wrong with it - fluids were all changed and a nice cherry red when it was removed, but it's taking up space now!

Or as Dave says - Ashcrofts do rebuilt ones - I think they also do a fitting service near Luton too.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Marty,
From memory Ashcrofts offered me just £100 core charge on my old 4HP22 gearbox, so I decided to keep it instead.

Also Ashcrofts don't do any fitting themselves. They use two local garages. The one I used was Autoland in Dunstable. Remember the television program called "a Landrover is born" ? They are the guys that did all the work behind the scenes. I can recommend them.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the heads up on the amount for core.. I'm tempted to wait until I've got a couple of them (have another DSE in for breaking as the bodywork would cost more to fix than the vehicle is worth!) and maybe a handful of diffs and then see if they'll do a bulk buy. At least it keeps them back in circulation for rebuilding - and a HP22 is no use to me! Though I'm thinking about using one of the transfer cases as a swap for mine since the chain is stretched, and then my old transfer case can go back for core aswell..

I've not heard of the places they use to install... a bit far for me to go in some ways - especially now I have workshop space, and a transmission cradle for my trolley jack! I have considered just buying a replacement transmission from them and installing it, but lack of time is my problem at the moment!! Good to know about the recommendation though - handy to have a list of places that people trust!

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Though I'm thinking about using one of the transfer cases as a swap for mine since the chain is stretched, and then my old transfer case can go back for core aswell.
Not having any experience with a diesel (or wanting to try), one thing I was told is that the diesel is harder on the transfer case chain than the petrol. A friend had a diesel with a completely knackered chain and he swapped it for one from a petrol as he was told they hardly ever wore out. Obviously you've been giving yours too much stick.......

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Sadly its more a case of the previous owner not having done any maintenance, and if how he drove it on the test drive was anything to go by how he'd treated it for the previous year, then that's where the damage was done.

I'm quite light footed, and only noticed the clunking of the chain on the odd occasion I've had to boot it to avoid someone else (like them indicating to come off a roundabout but coming around anyway!)

I only thought about swapping for one of the diesel ones as the one we're about to start stripping is pretty much silent in high and low range, and makes no noises even when range changing..

I ran mine in low range for a bit down one of the tracks to actually keep it running, and it doesn't just whine, it howls!

Sent from my S4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts