RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Range Rover world so please forgive if this is easy fix... Had a slight coolant leak and placed a new hose clamp, problem solved. Happy with myself and the truck until I notice that while the engine is running, the a/c compressor will just stop and the belt keeps on spinning, 5 seconds later, the conpressor pulley starts to spin again. 15 seconds later, the cycle continues. Is there an easy fix for this or am I stuck taking it to a shop? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. (By the way, I am just assuming that the belt running and the compressor pulley stopping is a bad thing, please let me know if this is normal but it seems like a good way to burn up the belt to me...)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon further inspection, the clutch seems to be working properly. I thought the pulley had stopped but under better light, the outer pulley keeps on roll'n

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
AC compressors dont run continously, they run as you so noted and I'd say everything is ok..

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yeah its normal. The compressor builds up pressure on either side, and then shuts itself off until the sensors say its time to start back up again once the pressures equalize. Seems kind of odd, but all cars do it. As long as you don't hear the belt slipping and the compressor isn't making any grinding noises, everything is fine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lrscott said:
Yeah its normal. The compressor builds up pressure on either side, and then shuts itself off until the sensors say its time to start back up again once the pressures equalize. Seems kind of odd, but all cars do it. As long as you don't hear the belt slipping and the compressor isn't making any grinding noises, everything is fine.
Ya, still learning. My previous "project vehicles" did not have a/c. I swore the pulley wasn't moving as the main houseing certainly stops but upon further inspection, there was no real issue. :dance:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts