RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 300 mile road trip I started the Range up the next morning to see a lot of smoke and rough idle. After about ten minutes of driving it became very bad, shaking and smoking even more. Hooked up the OBD2 and found these codes:

PO300 Random misfire fault
PO301 Misfire on cylinder 1
PO307 Misfire on cylinder 7
P1319 Misfire with Low/Empty FuelDrive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum

I checked a few plugs and found oil on them. MAF looks good. Thanks for your input.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,724 Posts
I would think oil in the cylinders to cause smoke is either going to be valve seals or rings. If it were just misfire I would vote for ignition leads or a bad coil.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leads replaced less the 10k ago. Checked them anyway also checked coil pack and all looks well, no loose connections there either. I was thinking valve stem seals as well but this was not a gradual thing. Parked it with just a whisper of smoke on start up that morning to smoking and running like I put diesel in it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
otoppero said:
Leads replaced less the 10k ago. Checked them anyway also checked coil pack and all looks well, no loose connections there either. I was thinking valve stem seals as well but this was not a gradual thing. Parked it with just a whisper of smoke on start up that morning to smoking and running like I put diesel in it.
Have you checked the rocker cover breather hose? If blocked the engine is under a lot of pressure and oil finds its way into places it should not. The bank for number 1 and 7 is the right one as you look at the engine standing in front of the car. Mine was blocked up so bad that I ended up with smoke too,

SID.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that idea...I will check that right now.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So went out this morning and she wont even turn over now!!!!!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the end result was that it was hydro locked. Coolant had leaked through intake gasket...I should have known by the sweet smell of the smoke when it was running. With the gaskets being replaced less than 30k ago I just did not put my finger on it at first. I hope this helps others.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Special sequences to tightening up inlet manifold, bet that was the reason
I've also found applying a touch of silicone grease/paste on valley gasket aids in the rubber compound sealing better.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed. It was done prior to me owning it by a LR dealer so I figured it would be done correct. Hope no major cylinder damage to be found.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts