RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a 2001 hse and a 1999 hse today. The 2001 basically exploded while parked spewing coolant everywhere (no go). The 1999 was a mess, air ride all the way up the dealership couldnt get it to come down. Headliner was terrible (not a deal breaker by any means). It says the gearbox is overheating. Sunroof leaked everywhere (wasnt even shut). Needed tires and a battery.

Anyway I decided not to buy. I drove home a little dissapointed but no big deal. I found a 96 4.0 SE on Craigslist that seems to be in good shape. I talked to the owner and he was happy to talk about it. He seemed very knowledgable about his RR. It has been converted to springs. He works on his own vehicles and even mentioned chatting on some forums (might even be a member here). It felt good to talk to a guy who knows about RR's rather than a used car dealer that knows nothing of these.

I am a little nervous about buying a 96. Am I wrong in this case? I would like to think I am. Is there any big differences between a 96 and say a 99-02? This guy ran through all the ups and downs of this RR and he just sounded very trust worthy. He has driven this Range on a few trips lately and says he wouldnt be afraid to drive it anywhere. He also said that the interior is in great shape and he gets complements on the overall appearance of this thing all the time.

It is a 3 hour drive to this Range for me but it is worth it if I can buy one from a guy that knows his stuff. So I guess I can sum it up into a few questions.

1. Am I putting too much thought into the year? It has 140k on the odometer and seems like it was maintained very well.

2. How much does the suspension conversion effect the off road capability?

Sorry if it seems like I'm just babbaling I'm just stoked about this oppertunity. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
213 Posts
the coils will be a little rougher off road, but thats about all you'll notice. the 99-02s will have a nicer interior and better engine management (cheaper replacement sensors and the like). 4 wheel ETC is another bonus. I have a 96' myself with 151K miles. I bought it with 130 about a year ago.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you like it? Did you ever wish you would have waited to see if a newer model became available?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohh and what is the sound system like in the 96? The seller says he thought it was the Harmon Kardon (sp?). He says it sounds really good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine is a newer model at this point. :D Some got clarion, some got harmon kardon. I removed my changer and installed a new 12" sub into the factory enclosure. but everything else is stock harmon kardon. The truck had clarion stuff when I bought it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It all depends on your price range. There are not a lot of good p38s in Michigan. It took me 2 years to find mine. So maybe expand your search a little. I don't recommend relying on Craigslist either, lots of junk. Try autotrader, more selective cause they have to pay to advertise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts