RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so long story short... my car would run but die 20 seconds later. I changed the fuel pump and it ran for 10 minutes just fine. I cleared the codes and none of them showed back up while it was running... the next day she won’t start and I find out I have a bad battery. I just replaced the battery and now the rover won’t even turn over when I try to start it. It just makes that horrible noise “wurr wurr wurr wurr” (sound effects are important)

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,194 Posts
So the engine turns over, it just won't start? Some people say it won't turn over and they mean the engine is locked up or doesn't rotate at all, and other people mean the engine spins like normal but won't start. Which is yours doing?

·
Registered
405 Posts
You abandoned your other thread to start this one when you had all the answers at your fingertips in that thread.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Same answer as the other thread, take a look at the fuel filter first. Tho now since you replaced the pump one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Please consider what we have recommended to you. If you keep trying to start it and it isnt starting you will end up scoring your cylinder walls which leads to no compression then no start then junk block.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I apologize; I started a new thread because I thought this might have been a different battery issue

Before I replaced the fuel filter it would at least run for 20 seconds before dying. After the fuel filter swap it ran perfectly no problems idling or any codes. The next day it wouldn’t do anything due to a bad battery.

Now that the battery is replaced it tries to start but it won’t. I’m just confused as to what would make it run and die, then run perfectly, and now not even run at all. I haven’t had a chance to check the fuel pressure yet because unfortunately I had to go out of town right as all this was happening. I will be checking fuel pressure when I get back in town. I was just hoping it might be an easy battery related issue but it sounds like your opinions still aim towards the fuel pump being the main gremlin in this.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Which exactly did you replace? Up top and previous thread you said you replaced the fuel pump but now you’re saying you replaced the fuel filter. Whichever it is, just know you need to look into both. It will crank but not start because you are missing fuel from the air fuel spark equation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which exactly did you replace? Up top and previous thread you said you replaced the fuel pump but now you’re saying you replaced the fuel filter. Whichever it is, just know you need to look into both. It will crank but not start because you are missing fuel from the air fuel spark equation.
I apologize it’s been a stressful trip; I’m a little scatterbrained.

I replaced the fuel filter. Out of curiosity: what do you think caused it to run fine after replacing the filter and then just not at all after swapping the battery?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I apologize it’s been a stressful trip; I’m a little scatterbrained.

I replaced the fuel filter. Out of curiosity: what do you think caused it to run fine after replacing the filter and then just not at all after swapping the battery?
Possibly air in the gas line? maybe the pump is air locked? You do have gas yes? when I did mine I actually purged the air out of the lines at the fuel rail before running the car. Inevitably after you've swapped the fuel filter you'll have air in the system, the car will run and as it draws up more fuel air will enter and cause it to die

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please consider what we have recommended to you. If you keep trying to start it and it isnt starting you will end up scoring your cylinder walls which leads to no compression then no start then junk block.
Ok so I was able to test the fuel pressure and there is absolutely none so it looks like I need to replace my fuel pump too. It’s so weird that it ran perfectly after fuel filter replacement and then once I changed the battery it wouldn’t start. I’m ordering a fuel pump and I guess we will go from there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts