RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,

So, this winter was particularly hard on my 03 HSE. It now has 180,000 miles, and it's starting to fall apart. Actually considering moving to an LR3, going to look at one on Monday that's an 08 model with 75,000 miles, one owner, all maintenance done at same Land Rover Stealership, and it has all the bells and whistles - HSE, Lux (which includes the Cold Climate Package), and it also has the Heavy Duty Package (Rear Locking Diff + full size spare tire). Also, it has a Winch on the front. This actually is a big deal for me - frustratingly difficult to setup the L322 with any decent off-road gear, very little available off the shelf. LR3 on the other hand has a lot more aftermarket choices. Currently, I've negotiated a $21,000 sales price. It also includes a 3,000 mile or 90 day Powertrain Warranty with $100 deductible. Obviously it will be a big upgrade to the 03 HSE in terms of gadgets and stuff, with the exception that it doesn't have a heated sterring wheel. I guess I can invest in some Gloves...

Thoughts? I'm most interested to hear from people who have owned an LR3, along with an 03-05 Range Rover HSE, along with their experiences.

My other choice is to get an 07 or 08 Range Rover Supercharged, which seem to be available now for about $25,000 with 80-90k miles.

Thanks, Simon

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
158 Posts
Hi Simon! I'm curious as to what all has broken on your 03.

Chris

·
Registered
687 Posts
as much as I like land rovers, I wouldn't touch a lr3, the land cruiser/lx470/570 is a much better choice. or go with a later model l322 as the early BMW ones have quite a bit of issues.

·
Banned
901 Posts
I test drove an LR4 and was overall impressed. So an LR3 with a heavy duty package and winch sounds like a great rig but so does the RR SC!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I did it. Purchased the 08 LR3 HSE that I was talking about. Smooth, quiet and solid. Very impressed so far. Drove it today from St. Louis to Springfield, Missouri.

Chris - (rph74) - I'm in Springfield for the week, if you want to hook up and talk cars for an hour one evening.

I plan on keeping my Range Rover HSE - When the weather get's warm enough, I will start fixing it. Finish refinishing interior trim, fix noises (either Bearings, Driveshaft or differentials), rear shocks, possibly front shocks, various front suspension issues, difficulty starting, running rough and error message because of timing chain issues, various coolant leaks, including Radiator and Valley Pan, various oil leaks, probably including PCV system, 'experiment' on deep-cleaning the leather with a steam cleaner, etc, etc...

My goal now is to find some mud and rocks in Southern Wisconsin that I can play around in with the LR3, and put the winch into action. My regular 'off-road' place is around the Nicolet National Forest fire-trails, about 3.5 hrs North of Madison - Would be nice if I didn't have to travel so far.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own a 2003 HSE RR and a 2006 LR3 SE.
The LR3 is much better then the RR. Less problems and more space. It is also better finished. buttons are bigger and make more sense for off road driving.
So far i still like them both, you just can't compare the 2 cars. That is why i have them both and a 1997 300tdi defender 110 for serious off roading.
But if i had to sell one it would be the RR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts