RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Range Rover Supercharged "Reduced Engine Performance" Fault

2008 Range Rover Supercharged - 56k miles. Have had repetitive "reduced engine performance" faults in the last year. Auxiliary cooling pump has been replaced twice in last 12 months associated with this fault, and today the fault appeared again. Ironically, first time this occurred (Aug, 2009) was while driving on I-40 in New Mexico, and today, while driving the same route, the fault appeared again. Had the fault last week while driving in N. Texas, and auxiliary cooling pump was replace at dealer, along with software updates for engine performance and transmission performance. Would appreciate any insight from anyone who has had same or similar issues, especially any info on successful fixes. It's a shame to love a vehicle, but realize it's a $100k vehicle that can't stray very far from dealer.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Re: Range Rover Supercharged "Reduced Engine Performance" Fault

Well, let's assume for a second your aux cooling pump is not shot again... (only a dealer can tell for sure through diagnostics though, so we can only make educated guesses here on the forum I'm afraid.) When the message popped up today, did you lose power at the same time and, if you didn't, did the fault message extinguish on its own after a few minutes or miles? Or did your car crap out? If it's the former, perhaps it's your MAF sensor. I had that problem a while back, the REP fault would pop up for a few minutes while driving at relatively high speeds on highways, and although I would not lose power right then and there, the car would often stall when slowing down or coming to a stop, even several miles after the fault had gone away. At first I suspected and cleaned the sensor and the problem seemed to go away for a while, but eventually it returned and my indy shop recommended I replace the meter. No more issues since (in over a year), knock on wood. The tech was always able to download a DTC from the car identifying the MAF sensor as the culprit via IDS, so there was very little guesswork involved in my case. I have a non-supercharged 2006.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for sharing this. I'll mention this to the dealer today. Hope your Sport continues to perform well for you.

·
Registered
93 Posts

There is a TIB addressing this issue if it set a P2601 fault code. Many vehicles were built with the coolant pump wired backwards (imagine this from a British vehicle) It may still be wired backwards, but that does not say much for your servicing dealer. It takes a long time for this issue to reoccur, even when it's backward. ibis1 ;)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts

:lol: That possibility crossed my mind ibis1, but miswiring it twice?!? And I thought the "British way" of wiring that pump had been caught and corrected after MY07s (the OP owns a 2008 S/C.) Still, probably worth mentioning the TSB to the dealer when you check back with them. See this thread, the TSB is linked at the very end: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31543&start=1

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

You may have a smoke leak in the wiring harness. LR's are very susceptible to this.

·
Registered
93 Posts

umbertob said:
:lol: That possibility crossed my mind ibis1, but miswiring it twice?!? And I thought the "British way" of wiring that pump had been caught and corrected after MY07s (the OP owns a 2008 S/C.) Still, probably worth mentioning the TSB to the dealer when you check back with them. See this thread, the TSB is linked at the very end: http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 43&start=1
umbertob,

That "should" be the case, but I learned many years ago with these vehicles you can not assume anything. We find issues all the time that are in the so called "safe" vin range and the issue is still there. As for the dealer "mis wiring" it twice. If it was originally wrong, the technician may have "assumed" it was correct because of the vin range and simply replaced the pump without verifying the wire locations. ibis1 ;)

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2 Posts
Re: Range Rover Supercharged "Reduced Engine Performance" Fa

Hello, I've been having the same problem with my 2008 supercharged, at high speeds the "REP" error occurs with the check engine light on and my vehicle looses power immediately. Once I turn it off and restart the error goes away but happens again once back at high speeds. Did you ever find the solution to the issue? Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Re: Range Rover Supercharged "Reduced Engine Performance" Fa

You are resurrecting an almost 7 year old thread that references the TSB for this issue. The R E P TSB is heavily covered with instructions how to swap the wires at the secondary cooling pump. Make sure your VIN falls within the stated range. Umberto also references other possibilities above. If you look below you will see a handful of threads on the same topic for both Sports and L322s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts