RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I am being told by my dealership that I need a Piston Rod and Crank Shaft Bearing Set, but those parts are not available at Land Rover. They are telling me I will need a new engine block replacement at $15k. It is hard for me to believe that core engine parts for Range Rover Supercharged 2011 are not available as parts.

Does anyone know how I can acquire these parts? I don't want to have to replace the engine under these conditions.

Please let me know if anyone can help me.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi RRSPORTS1,

I have 68k on the mileage. I also have the regular Range Rover Supercharged 2011 (not Sports). I am not sure if the parts are interchangeable. I received a "Restricted Performance" Warning on the dash and an engine light indicator came up. I took it to the dealership right away. They told me that they couldn't get the Piston Rod and Crank Shaft Bearing Set and that it is not available from Land Rover in UK. They even said there are no part numbers for them for the model I have. I told them that it is hard to believe they couldn't get parts for an engine. The option they gave me is to replace the engine block and the same model is available at $15k (not including labor, which I assume to be another $5k).

I know Piston Rods and Crank Shaft Bearing Set couldn't be that expensive. However, to tell me that the only option I have is to replace the engine block is a big expenditure and a big disappointment. Any references are certainly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
436 Posts
Hi All:

Does anyone know how I can acquire these parts? I don't want to have to replace the engine under these conditions.

Please let me know if anyone can help me.

Thank you!
Your vehicle is still in warrantee, no? Why worry about the parts and cost. Let Land Rover take care of it. Or, was the failure a result of abuse?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
With 68K miles, his factory warranty has been up for a while, unfortunately. Moving to MkIII forum as you are in the Sport forum currently.

·
Registered
436 Posts
A little confusing here. The original post didn't mention mileage just the fact that it was a 2011 supercharged engine. I'm assuming it was still under warrantee.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
Replacing the piston rod and crankshaft bearings is not quite just swapping out parts, even if you could source the bearings by themselves. I'm guessing that if you had a sudden and catastrophic failure of any of those bearings other components may have been damaged such as the crankshaft itself. You do seem to be right though, I couldn't source just the bearings from my dealers parts site either...weird. Looks like the only way to replace those bearings is by replacing the whole engine (bottom end) for $13k. Maybe your dealer could source you a decent used engine with similar or slightly lower miles? Sorry to hear about your troubles though, best of luck getting her back on the road.

·
Registered
436 Posts
This is very discouraging when you can't do a rebuild on an engine. Replacing practically complete engines to me is not the answer I'd want to here!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
They probably don't source the parts because even if there were availability 1.) the dealer doesn't have the specialized skills to tear the engine apart for a rebuild 2.) even if you found someone to do it the labor/parts would end up running you more than a new engine installed by the dealer.

The most economic/low hassle route is to pay the 15k, if that includes the labor it really isn't a bad deal.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,947 Posts
since there isnt any description about how this happened or why or what this failure is only that it needs a new rod and piston.
That might be a good thing to explore.

Other than that I would looking for a crashed RRSC in the junkyard,
I am sure there have a been a few trucks damaged that you could get an engine from.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
321 Posts
I'd wait for an earthquake and make sure she's under things that will crush her...that way my insurance takes care of my losses...find some hail, flooding, something! That's a ton of money to spend on a 2011 rig with only 68K miles. Shoot, I paid barely more than that for my 2007 with less miles. Let us know what you figure out.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
since there isnt any description about how this happened or why or what this failure is only that it needs a new rod and piston.
That might be a good thing to explore.

Other than that I would looking for a crashed RRSC in the junkyard,
I am sure there have a been a few trucks damaged that you could get an engine from.
Yeah I'd also get a second opinion... Does it sound like the engine is trying to cannibalize itself? A lot of things can throw those codes and I've also seen friends get hosed by dealers...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts