RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I hope someone can help me Ive had my sport now for 2months!! I replaced the battery last month cos it was struggling to start, new battery fitted great until this morning when I went to start it, it sounded normally but wouldn't fire up tried again and nothing no noise or anything all lights on as normal!! Checked all paperwork I got with car and found out previous battery was only put on end June, so this is why I think it might be the battery it is now charging in the garage, any ideas anyone??

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
810 Posts
A battery will usually last at least 4 years. If your lights come on as normal then it sounds as if your battery is OK.
Are you sure that the gear shifter is in Park?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the throws of a similar problem. Turn the key, lights and fan come one but only get a single "tick" or "click" from the engine compartment. Most times, if I turn it off and back on enough, it will fire.

Right now I am leaning to have been the Starter Motor relay (R18) in the Battery Junction Box next to the battery. Fingers crossed this is the cause as it is VERY cheap and easy to fix. I have replaced the relay and all is working for now but not long enough to call it fixed.

If it is not that, then I will be on to look at ground and power connection on the starter for dirt or corrosion or replace the starter itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys,

This is my experience from the other week. I've only owned this car for about 2 months. Went to start the car and all I heard was the tick. All the lights and system checks worked. Tried to jump start my car with a friends and it didn't work. Went to buy a new battery and the same thing happened. No start. I tested the old batter with a volt meter (which I should have done in the first place before buying the new battery) Turns out my old battery was just fine. It was from July of this year. I think my negative terminal was not providing enough of a ground from having a very little bit of corrosion maybe from the previous battery.

My fix was this. I took off the negative and positive cables. Then I took some sand paper and cleaned up the terminals removing any sort of corrosion what so ever. I did the same with the cables where it makes contact with the battery. After that I reinstalled insuring proper contact and I coated the cables with a little bit of vaseline to prevent future corrosion. Turned the key and BAM! Starts right up and I haven't had an issue since. It's been about a week now without an issue. I'll report back if it stops working but I would give that a shot first.

Good luck and I hope this helps. This seems to be such a mystery problem for this generation RRS but if it comes down to basic mechanics, it could simply be a grounding issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: So today is December 21 and my car wouldn't start again this morning. First thing I did was check the battery. It was reading 12.4 and that's plenty healthy. I cranked and heard a click but she did not turn over. I tried to roll the car forward to engage it in gear and it still wouldn't start. So I went under the car on the passenger side and hit the starter with the butt of a 3/4 in socket wrench. A few solid taps and I tried to start the car again. (standard starter trouble shooting mechanics) Lo and behold! She fired right up. So my diagnosis is that the starter is starting to die and I will need to replace it very soon. For the mean time I will be carrying this 3/4in wrench with me so I can do the tap trick if I get stranded. Surprisingly the starter is accessible even with the skid plate in place. At least for tapping it with the butt of a wrench :) Hopefully this saves some of you if you get stranded. I'll report back after getting the starter in and tell you how long it goes without leaving me stranded. I've been lucky that it's been in front of my driveway all 3 times. Good luck ladies and gents! :)

One thing to be careful of is your suspension lowering while under the car so I suggest you make sure your car is at it's lowest point or use the emergency jack if stranded on the side of the road before you attempt this!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Starter Motor relay (R18) in the Battery Junction Box next to the battery. Fingers crossed this is the cause as it is VERY cheap and easy to fix. I have replaced the relay and all is working for now but not long enough to call it fixed.

If it is not that, then I will be on to look at ground and power connection on the starter for dirt or corrosion or replace the starter itself.
Are you sure the relay is R1...I think it is R6.

Also your sequence of events to follow should be a benchmark...i am going down the list as the RRS is sometimes hesitating and other times not turning and other times starting just fine.

Also, does anyone have a location of the starter motor?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok replaced relay R6 and the problem came back after about a day. Pretty sure its the starter motor now.

How the heck are you suppose to probe the alternator chassis and the negative battery terminal while the car is running? Thats suicide if you put your hand in there.

BTW, Still looking for the location of the starter motor.

Are you sure the relay is R1...I think it is R6.

Also your sequence of events to follow should be a benchmark...i am going down the list as the RRS is sometimes hesitating and other times not turning and other times starting just fine.

Also, does anyone have a location of the starter motor?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
As a general rule, they are located closest to the battery on the lower block to minimize the run of expensive large dia copper. So in the RRS... passenger side, lower block.

Just be aware that the "whack it to engage it fix" is short lived. You usually need to whack it harder and harder until it will start no more.

IF you are planning to replace it yourself, it's a bit of a heat shield + suspension bits removal puzzle that needs to be solved to get it out from the looks of things.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for that info LooseGoose.
If it is the starter, I still dont know where it is, there is like a million things down there. :???:. Regardless i only try to fix electrical things (i did change my brakes for the first time), i would leave the starter for the mechanic (~900 bones).
Regardless, the story continues...
Car wouldnt start this morning and noticed that I didnt hear the charge up circuit clicking. That go me thinking, i didnt do a good job of checking my grounds (i woulda measured the drop between battery ground and alternator chassis if it wasnt so **** dangerous while the car is running.) Long story short i found a buncha corrosion on the negative battery terminal (I suck at visual checks, or did it while i was drunk). Took the terminal off and cleaned it thoroughly with some sand paper, installed it back.
The car started up...so hopefully this was the issue. ALthough i will get some hook up leads and make that dangerous reading tonite without putting my hand in there and keep listening to that charging circuit. If that charging circuit works and my car doesnt start, its definitely the starter then. But lets keep our fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Is the corrosion a white or greenish powder? If so when you clean those terminals use a bit of baking soda in a cup of water with a toothbrush and then dip the cleaned clamp into clean water... and then follow it up with a bit of emory cloth and some vaseline on both the post and clamp.

You should closely check the cable connection on the chassis as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
WP_20141020_20_28_20_Raw.jpg This Picture shows the main chassis ground right behind the Main fuse box. Its huge. to check this connection, just measure resistance between battery negative (nub on the battery) to some where on the chassis. Should be very low, mine was 0.2 ohm after i was done cleaning and lubricating.
WP_20141020_20_39_18_Raw.jpg Measure between battery negative and on the other side of chassis (those nuts in pic) as well, should measure about the same, ~0.2 ohm. I measured Voltage with everything running (heater, lights, cd loud) i measured 1.1v to .5V drop. Kept fluctuating, thats a lot of current flowing.
WP_20141020_21_25_08_Raw.jpg For the record, here is the starter. Just next to the rear of the front right wheel. Denso, Made in Japan.

I did not follow Goose's super good instructions on how to clean the terminal, but did use some lubricant on the negative terminal. I think somewhere else Goose suggested "CRC 2-26 Plastic Safe Multi Purpose Precision Lubricant"
Though this morning car started first try.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Thanks for adding the pics jakoh. That plastic safe lubricant is very light which I recommended spraying on the plug type connectors, i.e, the TB plug, etc. Its too light for the terminals...a light coating o' Vaseline is fine for the terminals.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Its been 9 days now, No Problem starting since my negative terminal cleaning and lubing. THanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for that info LooseGoose.
If it is the starter, I still dont know where it is, there is like a million things down there. :???:. Regardless i only try to fix electrical things (i did change my brakes for the first time), i would leave the starter for the mechanic (~900 bones).
Regardless, the story continues...
Car wouldnt start this morning and noticed that I didnt hear the charge up circuit clicking. That go me thinking, i didnt do a good job of checking my grounds (i woulda measured the drop between battery ground and alternator chassis if it wasnt so **** dangerous while the car is running.) Long story short i found a buncha corrosion on the negative battery terminal (I suck at visual checks, or did it while i was drunk). Took the terminal off and cleaned it thoroughly with some sand paper, installed it back.
The car started up...so hopefully this was the issue. ALthough i will get some hook up leads and make that dangerous reading tonite without putting my hand in there and keep listening to that charging circuit. If that charging circuit works and my car doesnt start, its definitely the starter then. But lets keep our fingers crossed.
So I have a range rover sport 2.7 TD HSE, I got new starter, replaced 6 months ago, it is -21c outside and always battery empties, how ever, usually it cranks over and starts after recharge , car starts, now i only get the click, battery is in charge again, but reading this, do I have any hope getting this car started. I am literally stuck middle of nowhere.... 70 km from nearest town :confused::confused:

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
147 Posts
12.4V is low. Should be 13V+ Measure plain AA battery, it will show 1.63V.
You may digging in to wrong spot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts