RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am getting into a V8 SC this upcoming week and living in Toronto I'm looking for a set of second hand winter wheels right now and I'm wondering if TPMS sensors are necessary. If the tire pressure light goes off does it disable any functionalities of the car? Is there a way to plug into the OBD port and disable the light?

·
Registered
26 Posts
A good set of winter tires with any Range Rover OEM wheel is going to run 2500-4000 depending on size, brand, etc. I mounted Pirelli Scorpion Winters on a RRS 19 inch wheel and with balancing it was 2200, the rpms added another 500 but who wants to look at warning lights. If you are going to spring for a winter set- go all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
46 Posts
Not having TPMS should not disable your vehicle. Check for used wheels on Craig's List or your local equivalent. Several months ago I bought a set or four OEM 20" with virtually new tires for my RRS V8 SC from someone that upgraded his wheels and tires right after buying the vehicle. Cost me $600. They didn't have the TPMS sensors but those are available pre-programmed from Rock Auto or from whichever tire retailer you buy the snow tires from. I have had multiple TPMS valves installed by Discount Tire and have never had a problem. Recently there has been a full set of OEM 20's with near new tires AND TPMS listed on Craig's List for $800 so worth checking into. And since aftermarket TPMS are available and relatively cheap compared to the Land Rover dealer and are available at the tire retailer, you may want to opt for the added benefit of knowing if a tire has lost air before you shred it beyond repair by driving on it. There's also eBay but often the price with shipping make them less economically appealing. You can also check out Tire Rack.com who will sell complete wheel/tire/TPMS packages and ship them to you mounted, balanced and ready to put on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
279 Posts
I just installed the same TPMS for just over a hundred. No problem on my new 22's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not having TPMS should not disable your vehicle. Check for used wheels on Craig's List or your local equivalent. Several months ago I bought a set or four OEM 20" with virtually new tires for my RRS V8 SC from someone that upgraded his wheels and tires right after buying the vehicle. Cost me $600. They didn't have the TPMS sensors but those are available pre-programmed from Rock Auto or from whichever tire retailer you buy the snow tires from. I have had multiple TPMS valves installed by Discount Tire and have never had a problem. Recently there has been a full set of OEM 20's with near new tires AND TPMS listed on Craig's List for $800 so worth checking into. And since aftermarket TPMS are available and relatively cheap compared to the Land Rover dealer and are available at the tire retailer, you may want to opt for the added benefit of knowing if a tire has lost air before you shred it beyond repair by driving on it. There's also eBay but often the price with shipping make them less economically appealing. You can also check out Tire Rack.com who will sell complete wheel/tire/TPMS packages and ship them to you mounted, balanced and ready to put on the vehicle.
Silly question but would you need to recalibrate the speedometer once you've downsized from 22" to 20" for the winter season? How does this work?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Silly question but would you need to recalibrate the speedometer once you've downsized from 22" to 20" for the winter season? How does this work?
No calibration necessary if you get the right size tires for the 20” wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
46 Posts
Brettmess24 is correct that as long as the diameter of the tire is the same as what you have on now the wheel size doesn't matter. The 20 inch wheels have a 255/55/20 tire that is roughly 31" in diameter. And you wouldn't necessarily have to get 20" rims though anything smaller such as the 19's may not clear the front calipers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brettmess24 is correct that as long as the diameter of the tire is the same as what you have on now the wheel size doesn't matter. The 20 inch wheels have a 255/55/20 tire that is roughly 31" in diameter. And you wouldn't necessarily have to get 20" rims though anything smaller such as the 19's may not clear the front calipers.
Right, yeah I don't think 19s will work because of the huge calipers. Much appreciated for the advice, very much excited to pick mine up this week!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts