RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:'

I just drove RR L405 yesterday (2016MY) and am looking into maybe a L494. What generally made you choose the L494 over the L405? I don't need any more seats than 5 and parking is an issue (Seattle area) but want a very comfortable ride as opposed to sporty, however the L405 seems quite large. Any thoughts are appreciated. I have one I like (2019MY) and they are asking $77,500 for an L494HSE - what did you guys pay and how much did dealerships negotiate off of MSRP? (I know these are two topics but wanted to see what info I could get). Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have had both over the years. Get the sport if you want a sporty, spirited drive. I had a BMW M5 and the L405 and I sold both and got the Sport SVR as the combination of the two. The L405 is a very cushy ride, very comfortable though if you like to really 'drive' your cars it will be a bit spongy. If you don't need extra leg room or head room, and the boot isn't much different I'd just stick with the Sport.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Soft vs. Sporty ride was my deciding factor. More space inside for the L405 but only by a little. Kind of like, Crafty4Rover, my L494 was bought after selling a Mustang and Wrangler and it is a perfect middle ground for me.

Bought mine used MY16 so can't comment on price though. Good luck on the purchase!

·
Registered
174 Posts
The former comments are already including everything.

Just to add, the L405 and L494 are exactly the same construction under the bodywork, except the „dynamic response“ for the L494, and the setup for the ride.
The width of the car is similarly and the length differs only 14cm.
So the size is not a pro or con...

My experience is, you can have with 20“ tires on an L494 the same comfy ride as in an L405.
And the L494 is always a less „wobbly“ ride than in the L405.

Style wise the L405 wins, but I stick to the L494 as it’s the better package for me.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I chose the L494 over the L405 because of two things - driving experience and price. For the same price I could have gotten a V8 L494 with a few options or a base model V6 L405 with virtually options. Back in 2015 I did not want to pay for a V8 L405 which I guess would have been the easy answer. At any rate, I decided to get the sport. I also like a spirited drive and there's a world of difference between the two (V8 sport versus V6 full size), at least in the 2016 model year.

If you are looking for a comfortable ride then I would go L405, there's really not much difference size-wise.

But based on what you posted, it sounds like you are looking at a 2019 L494 versus a 2016 L405? If that's the case then there's no question get the 2019.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My experience is, you can have with 20“ tires on an L494 the same comfy ride as in an L405.
And the L494 is always a less „wobbly“ ride than in the L405.

Style wise the L405 wins, but I stick to the L494 as it’s the better package for me.
Is this still the case if the L405 has 22" wheels? or are you comparing 20" to 20" on each model. I haven't driven the L405 yet (will next year when I look at trading in my Sport) but wondering how the 22s are on the L405, my sport is a bit bumpy with the 22s

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
IMO the L405 is much much softer. I had 22" wheels on both my 405 and 494. L494 can be a bit jarring of a ride on 22" wheels. L405 just glides over everything, and there's a hell of a lot less road noise.

I do like the L405, but the L494 is definitely a great middle ground from sporty to luxury. Too bad mine is driven by my wife and I get stuck with either my CLS or Discovery.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is this still the case if the L405 has 22" wheels? or are you comparing 20" to 20" on each model. I haven't driven the L405 yet (will next year when I look at trading in my Sport) but wondering how the 22s are on the L405, my sport is a bit bumpy with the 22s
The L405 is for my feel once driven with 22´s un-balanced. It is a soft and a bit wanky ride from the suspension side, combined with hard and heat tires (they comment every potthole).
For me the L405 is matching perfectly with 21´s.
The L494 is with 20´s very comfy, with 21´s the best from both worlds and with 22´s just OK, as also there is every surface difference commented into the car... ;-)

But anyway, most of us (myself ;-) goes anyway style over comfort, even if this works against a perfect ride...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts