RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm more familiar with more traditional suspension setups (springs/struts/shocks). I know the RRS has air suspension...how do these wear in comparison to the traditional setups? What are signs that they need to be replaced? What is the average lifespan of them and how much does it run to replace in the future? Thanks.

Also,
I was drivin bout 45 mph when there was a abupt dip in the road. Didn't have time to slow down and hit it pretty hard. I bounced up a bit inside the car. Should I be worried? Drives fine but any chance I could have damaged something? What to check? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Good questions. Its my first vehicle with EAS as well so I've been reading up as well. Here's what I've found out.

The fun bags in the EAS take the place of a traditional spring. Traditional springs don't wear out but the rubber bag will eventually develop cracks and needs to be replaced, but they're very reliable for the most part--class 5 and up trucks use them exclusively. Its not a real big deal $-wise as they are not any more expensive than a set of springs. Its probably more of a time or abuse issue than it is mileage based. You will probably be replacing the whole shock/fun bag assembly as a unit when the time comes which is on par $-wise with a good coilover setup. There is an air compressor that fills the suspension that is more prone to failure, along with its solenoids. It is a good idea to cycle through the height adjustment periodically to keep things in order.

Which brings me to a question I hope Umberto or someone can answer. Is there a dryer cartridge for the air compressor that needs to be checked/replaced periodically?

As far as your bump, other than a dent in your headliner from your head, you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
[youtube:30asj2i7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FCYMx6XzUA[/youtube:30asj2i7]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Seems that around 125000 miles people with P38's start thinking about airbag/compressor problems. The bags do wear out or get holes, the compressors do wear out and the little o-ring seals from the valve banks get stiff and leak. Replacement is fairly easy for all these parts but not cheap. Don't know if the new RRS and RR have a different setup but probably not. By the way, both coil and leaf springs do wear out, they get soft and sag. But this is usually after 20 years or more. On the P38 there was a dirt filter but no dryer.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Holy crap, I just hit 124,000 miles today. :shock:

Goosey, AFAIK the compressor is a sealed design and maintenance free. Mine was replaced just once (during the 2006 service campaign.) No problems since, although I did bust a shock during off-roading a year ago or so... I have another knock over bumps now - and it sounds like the other front shock. :roll: Will get it checked soon.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
bop08 said:
Seems that around 125000 miles people with P38's start thinking about airbag/compressor problems. The bags do wear out or get holes, the compressors do wear out and the little o-ring seals from the valve banks get stiff and leak. Replacement is fairly easy for all these parts but not cheap. Don't know if the new RRS and RR have a different setup but probably not. By the way, both coil and leaf springs do wear out, they get soft and sag. But this is usually after 20 years or more. On the P38 there was a dirt filter but no dryer.
Thanks Bop and Umberto. Is there a small pressure tank somewhere? If there is, then is there a drain valve on the compressor tank? My experience with compressors is that most problems occur over time when there is condensation trapped in the system. Just wondering if I have to do any maintenance to avoid this? I do hear the pressure blowoff after the car is stopped. I wonder if that's designed to remove condensation?

I'd bet the guys at Arnott have a good idea what time between failure on this system is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts