1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Range Rover Sport Supercharged suspension dropping - Tests Included

Hello,

My 2006 RRS SC has started to drop when sitting for a period of time. In addition to the drop, it seems like the front passenger side is always lower then the other three corners... I took it into the dealer and they replaced the front cross link valve (approximately $700). I wanted it to be fixed so badly that I was telling myself that it was fixed even though deep down I knew it was not. A week later I decided to measure and here are the results.

*All in the same spot, just facing different directions in case that made a difference.

Face East
8/17 @1:50pm - 3pm
Passenger 32 0/16 - 31 11/16
Rear 32 9/16 - 32 9/16
Driver 32 9/16 - 32 9/16
Rear 32 9/16 - 32 9/16

Face West
8/17 @5:25pm - 8/18 @ 7am
Passenger 32 6/16 -31 12/16
Rear 32 11/16 - 32 11/16
Driver 32 11/16 - 32 4/16
Rear 32 9/16 - 32 8/16

Face East
8/18 @7:52am - 2pm
Passenger 32 6/16 - 32 4/16
Rear 32 9/16 - 32 7/16
Driver 32 9/16 - 32 9/16
Rear 32 9/16 - 32 9/16

Face West
8/18 @4pm - 8/19 @ 7:00am
Passenger 32 5/16 - 31 6/16
Rear 32 8/16 - 31 7/16
Driver 32 9/16 - 32 1/16
Rear 32 13/16 - 32 1/16

I am bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow, but feel they are going to tell me we need to do X, Y and Z. I will say what about what you have already done and they will answer it was bad and needed replacement anyway. They will want me to keep throwing money at it (this happened to me with the MAF, when I told them I believe it needs to be replaced. They came back to me and said I only need a software update. I said okay, only to have the light come back on and have them replace the MAF. Charged for both, there answer was the software update was needed anyway). I don't mind paying to have something fixed, but do not want to spend money on things that do not need to be fixed.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? What could it be?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
It seems as though it is only dropping down when facing one way, which might not be an issue at all.

How long after shutting the car off are you taking the first measurement? Are you leveling the suspension, while the truck is in motion to avoid binding, before taking the first measurement?

If it were the valve, or any part of the gallery leaking, initial height would have no bearing on the leak.

If it is something other then it just leveling itself(which if due to a faulty sensor reading can easily cause it to drop too much) then you're looking at a leak in the system, usually the dryer or compressor, and a valve that is sticking open. If the dryer is going bad, or recently was, it may have let desicant into the system, that could even cause the brand new valve to stick.

That said, with it staying up facing one way, I would suspect it's just doing what it should, and leveling due to different loads.

Also keep in mind, if ambient temperature is dropping overnight(when it is lowering itself) the pressure in the springs will decrease as well, and the vehicle will lower.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Range Rover Sport Supercharged suspension dropping - Tests Included

Example one was for a very short period of time. Might need to throw this one out. I tried to include accurate times above.

Is there a reason my front passenger would always start out lower? The front right also drops each time leaving the others to self level. Or am I just imagining a problem?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
If it last leveled with a driver in the vehicle, once you get our, and there is less load on that side, the RF will be slightly lower then the LF, as they should have been 'level' (6mm offset is considered level to the truck) with the extra weight on the LH side. This will be corrected after a few minutes when the x-link opens, and pressure is equalized between the sides.

It could also indicate the calibration being slightly off.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Is there a reason my front passenger would always start out lower? The front right also drops each time leaving the others to self level. Or am I just imagining a problem?
Much like most men, one side always hangs lower than the other. My theory is that with the RRS this side is the farthest away from the compressor and if you have air delivery problems it will drop first and fill up last. I have not measured the tubing length though to confirm my theory, but on a personal level I can confirm I hang a bit lower on the right than the left, similar to the RRS.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

The LF has more line then the RF, as the front supply valve block is located in the RH front of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

Well there goes that theory.

Most do list to the passenger side front for some reason.:think:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Turns out the cross link did not need to be replaced. It is now recommended "need to replace right front air spring (using leak detection spray found right front air spring has very slight leak-no faults present in system)". This is approximately $1,000.

Now I do not mind paying for something to be fixed correctly, but what about everything I paid to have the cross link changed $500+ (don't remember the exact cost) last week. It didn't need to be replaced...

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

These air springs don't have slow leaks very often, generally a quick leak at a certain height during suspension travel.

I would suggest electrically disconnecting the front valve block, and let it sit overnight. See what happens.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

And if the front right still drops. It is a slow leak, correct?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

They let me know they are picking up the labor and part for the right front air spring. No cost to me besides what I already paid. This dealership has gone out of there way to make me happy and I never complained once... Very impressed...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

The dealership changed out the front right air spring (they claimed a small air leak). My RRS is still dropping overnight! WTF? Ideas?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Maybe someone can help me after this update. When the vehicle drops overnight, the front passenger and both rears are lower. The front driver side is significantly higher then the others... Ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts

Let it do that again, with LF up, and unlock and open the door quickly, keep the door open. Pull up the 4x4 info on the nav screen and see if it thinks that it is level, could be a bad LF height sensor.

But to clarify, the LF is not raising, right, just not lowering as much as the others?

·
Registered
1 Posts

My 2006 sport was involved in an accident (rear passenger side) in Jan 2013 and repaired. Since then, it's been dropping on that side. There is no pattern or anything. There are days nothing happens and it's sitting just right and then all of sudden I find it dropped, sometimes slightly and something almost couple of inches on that same side. I've taken it back to rover and another specialty shop and they can't explain it. They have have found nothing wrong with the suspension, valves etc. Software was updated just in case and its still behaving the same way. The repairs are warranted for one year and I want to get this resolved before the year is over. I was told to lock it every night and monitor it for a while to see if it happens again. It's all very frustrating!!! Any ideas on what might be happening??

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Let it do that again, with LF up, and unlock and open the door quickly, keep the door open. Pull up the 4x4 info on the nav screen and see if it thinks that it is level, could be a bad LF height sensor.

But to clarify, the LF is not raising, right, just not lowering as much as the others?
That is correct.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts