RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have an RRS 2016 - SDV8 engine, the check engine light is on, so checked it, and the error code showed that its a problem with the turbo. Later found that its a problem from the Turbo Actuator, after opening the Turbo Actuator I found that it has oil inside, so mostly the oil is what is causing the problem, but I need to know from where is this oil coming, what might be wrong here?

Thank you!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Need a bit more info to help.

Is the oil in the turbo or turbò actuator? I’m guessing you meant the turbo.

Is it in the intake side or exhaust side? How much?

Does the truck produce white/gray smoke at startup if it has been sitting?

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's probably cylinder ring "blow by"... A certain amount of engine oil is going to blow by the rings with high compression engines by design and especially engines with Twin-Turbo's. It happened on my 3.5L Ecoboost. There was engine oil in my air filter, air filter tube, intake side and exhaust side of the engine too... Using the correct factory approved engine oil weight and viscosity is paramount. I used 5w30 Synthetic instead of 5w20 Synthetic in a pinch because NAPA didn't have Mobil 1 in the 5w20 that I'd used every time before. Never noticed the engine oil in the aforementioned parts of the engine before the oil change substitute. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your help, problem solved :) it was a problem that there is oil leakage that will result in engine carter having oil inside and also other parts like oil sensor and the turbo actuator. They removed the oil from inside the turbo actuator and stopped the oil leakage that mainly gets in the carter and then to the other parts, then everything worked like a charm :)

As it seems this is a known issue with the SDV8 engine!

Need a bit more info to help.

Is the oil in the turbo or turbò actuator? I’m guessing you meant the turbo.

Is it in the intake side or exhaust side? How much?

Does the truck produce white/gray smoke at startup if it has been sitting?
It's probably cylinder ring "blow by"... A certain amount of engine oil is going to blow by the rings with high compression engines by design and especially engines with Twin-Turbo's. It happened on my 3.5L Ecoboost. There was engine oil in my air filter, air filter tube, intake side and exhaust side of the engine too... Using the correct factory approved engine oil weight and viscosity is paramount. I used 5w30 Synthetic instead of 5w20 Synthetic in a pinch because NAPA didn't have Mobil 1 in the 5w20 that I'd used every time before. Never noticed the engine oil in the aforementioned parts of the engine before the oil change substitute. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you all for your help, problem solved :) it was a problem that there is oil leakage that will result in engine carter having oil inside and also other parts like oil sensor and the turbo actuator. They removed the oil from inside the turbo actuator and stopped the oil leakage that mainly gets in the carter and then to the other parts, then everything worked like a charm :)

As it seems this is a known issue with the SDV8 engine!
Glad it was sorted!

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 3.5L Ecoboost ended up being a stretched timing chain at 60,009 miles... 9 miles outside of factory Powertrain Warranty. 4K later a new water pump and timing chain and oil blow by was still present. Glad I sold that POS money pit...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts