RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I know this was discussed in my other threads but since completing this service I wanted to just throw a little write up for members who is planning on doing the same.
I had ordered whole KIT from Atlantic British just out of convenience. Keep in mind that there are 2 different versions of rear diff between pre/post facelift RRS L320, some have electronic differential, I think pre-2009 and some have regular, also called an open differential.
The kit for my 2013 RRS SC with open rear diff AB P/N was DTCM300F and designated for both NA and SC 2010-2013 RRSs as per AB.
I was able to complete the job semi-comfortably with Rover on the ramps, biggest challenge was removing under engine armor plate.
Here is some tech info you may need (credit to other LR Forum)
Front Differential:
1. Remove engine skid plate
2. Clean area around drain and fill plugs, remove fill plug
3 Remove drain plug, drain fluid
4. Install drain plug; up to serial number 254845, tighten hexagonal drive drain plug to 54Nm (40 lb-ft), from serial number 254836, tighten 3/8" square drive drain plug to 28Nm (21 lb-ft)
5. Fill with 0.61 litres (1.07 pints) (0.64 US quarts) Castrol SAF-XO - 75W/90 (LRN 7591)
CAUTION: Do not use the fill plug as a level, fill with the correct quantity
6. Tighten filler plug to 34Nm (25 lb-ft)
7. Reinstall engine skid Plate.

Rear Differential:
1. Raise and support vehicle
WARNING: do not work under a vehicle supported by a jack
CAUTION: Do not undo or remove the large protruding hexagonal on the differential casing.
2. Clean the area around the differential fill plug and drain plug, remove the fill plug
3. Position container to collect fluid, remove the drain plug. Drain fluid
4. Install drain plug. Up to differential serial number 254325, tighten the hexagonal drive drain plug to 54Nm (40 lb-ft) from differential serial number 254326, tighten the 3/8" square drive drain plug to 28 Nm (21 lb-ft)
5. Refill with correct fluid and quantity;
Open unit: Castrol SAF - XO 75W/90 LRN 7591 1.1 Litres (2.3 US pints)(1.16 US Quarts)
Electronic torque managed differential: Castrol SAF Carbon Mod Plus LRN500070
1.5 litres (3.17 US pints) (1.6 US quarts)
CAUTION: make sure correct specification and quantity of oil is used
7. Install filler plug and tighten to 34Nm (25lb-ft)

Transfer case Draining and Filling
0. Make sure you can undo filling plug before touching drain plug, in case you won't be able to, leaving old fluid beats having no fluid hands-down.
1. Raise and support vehicle (note the warning)
2. position a container to collect fluid
3. Clean area around fluid drain plug, remove plug and discard the sealing washer.
4. Allow fluid to drain
5. Clean component mating faces, install a new sealing washer, install drain plug and tighten to 22Nm (16lb-ft)
6. Remove the filler/level plug, clean the immediate are and discard the sealing washer
7. Refill transfer case with Shell TF 0753, LRN0753, until the fluid is level with the bottom of the filler/level plug hole. (1.5 litres)(2.6 US pints)(1.5 US quarts)
8. Install the fluid filler/level plug with a new sealing washer and tighten to 22Nm (16l lb-ft)

With regular $10 pump from the local autostore I was able to pump all the fluid without any problems. Since differentials use the same fluid, I did them first, then cleaned the pump the best I could and pump some of the transfer case fluid trough in to empty container to pump-out residual diff fluid. You will only use about 1.5 bottles so 4-5-6 pumps is safe to waste.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ACE system filter. It is located in ACE valve block under RH side passenger door. Cap that holding it needs 38mm / 1.5" socket

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover Sport SC L320
120 Posts
Awesome job and write up!

I got a few more miles to change my differential fluids, but the transfer case might be due.

-John

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi John. I think diffs and transfer case fluids follow identical replacement schedule. I mean, it is 100% up to you but why getting your hands dirty twice? But this is just my own vision...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does this write up the same as 2010 Range Rover Sport V8 5.0 non supercharge? Planing on doing mines sometimes next month.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On the rear differential: CAUTION: Do not undo or remove the large protruding hexagonal on the differential casing.

Which one is that? I've taken a look and can't find anything looking like that, do you have a picture of what they mean?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts