RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys. So wife has been wanting a Range for quite some time and I always have had fears of high maintenance issues! However this is going to be my "I beat cancer Gift". Looking at a 2017/2018 Range Rover Sport with 25k miles here in Austin, TX. Certified. I have had a bmw 528i and have a great local mechanic that works on my car for very low price. How difficult is it to maintain a Range after my certified warranty runs over. Is there a good thread to read up on it? Any recommendations on getting just the v6 over v8? Any advice would be great...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Guys. So wife has been wanting a Range for quite some time and I always have had fears of high maintenance issues! However this is going to be my "I beat cancer Gift". Looking at a 2017/2018 Range Rover Sport with 25k miles here in Austin, TX. Certified. I have had a bmw 528i and have a great local mechanic that works on my car for very low price. How difficult is it to maintain a Range after my certified warranty runs over. Is there a good thread to read up on it? Any recommendations on getting just the v6 over v8? Any advice would be great...
Got it. Thanks makes sense. Is there a certain type i should avoid? Get v6 and not v8, ex? I figure if I get a 2017, or 2018 and get it certified , atleast don't have to worry about it for 4 years. But thanks for advice, makes sense.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
584 Posts
Nothing to avoid. I would always pick the larger motor, if given a choice.

(congratulations to her, BTW).

Steve

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
The 2018 had a minor face lift including dual screen control system and updated headlamps/tail lamps so the 2018 would be more "current". There have been issues with the dual screens that have mostly been eliminated with software updates and I suspect future software will continue to improve performance. The bodies look the same so pick the model year that has the best combination of miles, equipment, options and colors. Like "stemikel", I prefer more power and there isn't an appreciable difference in MPG between the V6 and V8 but she'll be happy with the performance of either. A diesel V6 is also available that gets remarkable MPG if that's important.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 2018 had a minor face lift including dual screen control system and updated headlamps/tail lamps so the 2018 would be more "current". There have been issues with the dual screens that have mostly been eliminated with software updates and I suspect future software will continue to improve performance. The bodies look the same so pick the model year that has the best combination of miles, equipment, options and colors. Like "stemikel", I prefer more power and there isn't an appreciable difference in MPG between the V6 and V8 but she'll be happy with the performance of either. A diesel V6 is also available that gets remarkable MPG if that's important.
Yep. Plus the V6 and V8 are closely related in design so its not like one will likely be more/less reliable. The diesel adds some complexity but Ford uses the same engine in some of its trucks so that be useful at some point when it comes to maintenance costs. The ties that still bind Ford, Land Rover -- engines

·
Registered
258 Posts
V8 Supercharged hands down... and you can always opt for the extended warranty close to when the CPO warranty is about to go out... Don't keep one of these without a good powertrain and accessory warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well Done on the cancer MATE. EXCELLENT!

With Regards to the car. Yes they can cost you a bit. But Its a Range Rover. I drive a 2016 with 40K on the clock. I love it and will only buy a new one when I feel like it.
Warranty is worth while, I paid 2K for a 3 year one. 100% Dealer compliant.

Go for it. You will love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm contemplating between a 2017 and 2018 RRS to buy because I'm a used car buyer ever since. I'm not much of a techy. So I'm leaning towards the 2017 with its singular screen feature. Although, the dual screens on 2018 is handsome. I'm just worried that the more tech, the more issues....
Asking for any advice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm contemplating between a 2017 and 2018 RRS to buy because I'm a used car buyer ever since. I'm not much of a techy. So I'm leaning towards the 2017 with its singular screen feature. Although, the dual screens on 2018 is handsome. I'm just worried that the more tech, the more issues....
Asking for any advice.
I have a 2020 with the dual screens. All things being equal I'd prefer the single screen setup-- just prefer traditional buttons and controls. I dont think the dual screens are much more or less problematic- its the same software on both single and dual screen cars (for 2017 up). I havent had any issues with the lower screen FWIW. With a used car, i'd buy the lowest mileage/best condition example that fit my budget though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought a 16 and it needed some work. Need new suspension compressor, AC system needed work. Front passenger side lower control arm needs to be replaced. A couple of other things. Lucky for me I'm able to fix all these issues myself. Dealership wants 198.00 a hr to work on it. I also got the diesel engine. I'm at 86,XXX miles.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had a 2016 V6 that I put 12k miles on in the first year without issues (sold it). I currently have a 2017 V8 with just over 42k on the clock without any issues.

If you want fast with great engine noise and don't care about fuel economy go with the V8. If you want something that's quick enough, gets decent fuel economy, and will get you close to 500 miles of driving range go with the V6. If you go the V6 route and the power is lacking you can hit it with a $1000 VelocityAP tune that will put a smile on your face.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts