RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a range rover sport 2011. The ride is sometimes smooth but sometimes very harsh and i feel everything on a damaged road. I changes air struts and bushes in the front, bushes in the suspension arms are new. Tire presure is fine tires are 275/45/20

O i wanted to recalibrate my eas and lower the car for 13mm because i read that this makes the car much softer and there is something like a s class driving. Has someone experience with this lowering? And where can i get such a tool or software which doesnt cost 400 or 500 dollars? Thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hi,

I have a range rover sport 2011. The ride is sometimes smooth but sometimes very harsh and i feel everything on a damaged road. I changes air struts and bushes in the front, bushes in the suspension arms are new. Tire presure is fine tires are 275/45/20

O i wanted to recalibrate my eas and lower the car for 13mm because i read that this makes the car much softer and there is something like a s class driving. Has someone experience with this lowering? And where can i get such a tool or software which doesnt cost 400 or 500 dollars? Thanks
Best place is an independent who can probably make the custom adjustment for you. Should be much less than cost of programmer.

You are probably onto something despite so many brand evangelists (read: biased) claiming it’s the best riding SUV ever.

It’s smooth, for sure, but smooth AND firm, like a river rock. Not always the best for your butt.

I feel that the L322 (mine a 2012 S/C w/ VDS, 151k miles) is nice most of the time, but two things have me second-guessing the purported miracles this suspension is supposed to perform:

1.) The PERCEIVED smoothness of the suspension is undone by the tendency of the interior to get creaky very quickly compared to most other automakers.

2.) The road feel / geometry of normal height EAS is atrocious. The vehicle is not up high, but rides like it’s up on stilts, with a broomstick up it’s ass. Rigid and the front end feels like a big enough pothole could snap a wheel right off.

The whole thing feels like an eggshell. Fragile.

Mine has been gone through with a fine toothed comb, is currently error-free, and has less than 10k on the new bushings, ball joints, brakes, rotors, and air compressor.

My Durango on new Bilsteins (but 220k miles, and on an otherwise ALL original front end) rides like it’s held together with actual quality materials and feels like you’re “down in it” when riding. Not at the very top of shock and suspension travel, waiting for “the big one” to snap a strut right off the tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
726 Posts
I have LLAMs fitted to my vehicle and drive it around with the suspension set at the -20mm setting - I can assure you that there is no real difference in the ride over normal onroad height - if anything a little harsher.

Re the harsh ride when you replaced the suspension bushes - I hope you used rubber and not the poly bushes as these cause a harsh ride. For harshness - look to suspension bushes.

Garry

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have LLAMs fitted to my vehicle and drive it around with the suspension set at the -20mm setting - I can assure you that there is no real difference in the ride over normal onroad height - if anything a little harsher.

Re the harsh ride when you replaced the suspension bushes - I hope you used rubber and not the poly bushes as these cause a harsh ride. For harshness - look to suspension bushes.

Garry
Yes OEM part by my independent. No orange-colored gimmicks for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read that 13mm should be the hight where the ride got smooth...i have no idea why exactly 13mm but this i read several times in the forums. I have no idea what to do, sometimes i thought that maybe i have a leak somewhere because the car drives sometimes very well and then got harsh that you feel everything very hard in the cabin like the air suspension is not working.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The lower you go the harsher the ride gets because the available upward travel to absorb bumps is reduced - to test at an extreme - put the car access height and drive on a bumpy road and feel how bad it is.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport Red Limitied Edition
37 Posts
What new Shocks did you put in the front? I am putting Arnott in next week in the front and let you know how they feel compared to stock on my rough ride 2013 RRS SC.
Trev

·
Registered
844 Posts
I find my 09 to have a pretty hard ride. I blame the very low profile 20" tires. My wife's Grand Cherokee , my daughter 02 X5 both ride much softer and nicer than the RRS.
I recall a poster on here that said he was going to get rid of his new RRS that he said had a ride that was harder than his Porsche 911.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know...so i think just a little reduction would help but if there is no air in the struts then it is maybe to harsh

·
Registered
592 Posts
After much testing and experimenting with custom truck builds, by far the most ideal cushy ride is from larger bags run at lower pressures.

EAS at lower heights should be softer, for the same reason over-inflating tires causes a harsh ride. Not much aftermarket available for 2010-2012 RR EAS, all 3rd party stuff is direct replacement for stock spec.

Where you want to be is a bigger bag / strut with the vehicle weight spread over more square inches (bag diameter) so you can run lower PSI.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
223 Posts

Garry
After much testing and experimenting with custom truck builds, by far the most ideal cushy ride is from larger bags run at lower pressures.

EAS at lower heights should be softer, for the same reason over-inflating tires causes a harsh ride. Not much aftermarket available for 2010-2012 RR EAS, all 3rd party stuff is direct replacement for stock spec.

Where you want to be is a bigger bag / strut with the vehicle weight spread over more square inches (bag diameter) so you can run lower PSI.

Garry is correct.
Over inflating tires is not at all the same as having more air in the suspension.
Over inflating tires puts more pressure into the same volume making them much stiffer.
Putting more air into the struts provides more volume and more suspension travel for the same impact, making the ride much softer at higher ride heights. Because the strut is effectively a piston with a constant area, the pressure at all ride heights is effectively the same. The pump just adds air, or air is vented out.
I my own experience, the biggest improvement in ride quality came about when I sacrificed the cool looking 20" wheels for commonsense 18" with more sidewall rubber.
The improvement was dramatic and I also feel much safer on the odd off road or dirt road excursions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I think you are right....one thing which should be in mind too is that when it is warmer weather (over 20 degree) the suspension feel more harder....this should be because of the fact that the air when it is warm extend and so there is less space in the strut....so i think too that lowering (not to much that there is no air) should improve the drive. I would be happy if i got just a softer ride when there is a bad road and im happy. RRS the best :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think you are right....one thing which should be in mind too is that when it is warmer weather (over 20 degree) the suspension feel more harder....this should be because of the fact that the air when it is warm extend and so there is less space in the strut....so i think too that lowering (not to much that there is no air) should improve the drive. I would be happy if i got just a softer ride when there is a bad road and im happy. RRS the best :)
Also be aware that there is a separate-from-the-airbag shock absorber in the strut assembly that can be replaced (damping, not necessarily ride firmness).

If those are stock it may be worth looking into if they’re leaking or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also be aware that there is a separate-from-the-airbag shock absorber in the strut assembly that can be replaced (damping, not necessarily ride firmness).

If those are stock it may be worth looking into if they’re leaking or not.

I have changed the complete air struts in the front, but maybe there is a leak at thw rears

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
223 Posts
I have changed the complete air struts in the front, but maybe there is a leak at thw rears
Zardusan, the airbags are not tires and they do not behave as such.
They are equivalent to air cylinders with a constant bore.
A lower height will give you a harsher ride. Pneumatics 101.
If you really want to get a much softer ride change to 18" wheels and match original radius with bigger tires.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
81 Posts
GAP IID TOOL is what you need to play with your suspension. One of the best tool I bought for my RRS

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you really want to lower your car the cheapest way to do it is to get lowering rods - Johnson have rods to raise ir but I am not sure they do lowering rods - google will probably find something.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts