RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Range Rover Sport 2008 key won't turn on ignition and locking problem
key fob buttons is not working as well, it does not open or close doors.

when you put key on ignition first time you can start car and all seems working, but when you remove key, next time key does not open ignition, its locked, if you dont remove key from ignition it can start as many times as you wont, it will not get locked, unless you remove it
but if you remove it then
To on ignition and run engine , need again to disconnect battery and after that car starts

Scanner is givging B1B0187 fault transponder key

Please guys advise need who has similiar problem encoutered before,

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
433 Posts
Sounds like key is faulty - do you have the second spare key ? Try that one. There is battery inside key - that probably needs replacing , but oem key is not serviceable - you can get kit on eBay with new key housing , and look for YouTube video that shows you how to break open old key and put the internals back into new housing. While you are doing. That you can check battery voltage and replace if needed.

Based on your description - That is a more likely issue than a faulty transponder or ignition lock in the steering column - the key kit is only about $10 - so cheap place to start ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do a google search. Had the same problem and it was a common fault on the module on the steering column. You can fool it by taking key out and pulling the fuse for it and then replace the fuse and it will let you use the key one time.

I think I got a reconditioned module from ebay for around $600 with them requiring you to return the faulty module back to them

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
808 Posts
For others searching this thread for 'key won't turn', be aware that sometimes the wheel itself needs to be jiggled back and forth in order to turn the ignition key. That happens on lots of cars, and it has happened to me on the RRS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts