Range Rovers Forum banner

Range Rover saved my life

7K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  marty_nz 
#1 ·
Going to take a weekend hiking trip near Denver, struck a deer at about 75mph in my 1999 Range Rover. Airbags deployed, saving both me and my passenger. Amazingly the Rover was actually good enough to drive home. However my brush guard, bumper, headlights, grill and hood are mangled and may make the car an insurance write off. I can't speak more highly of how solid the Range Rover is when placed in danger.

#2 ·
:clap: Glad you're all ok.
Any photos of the hero?

#4 ·
Glad you're ok. Hope you got some venison out of the deal.
I agree with your assessment. Head on collision @ 65 with another vehicle in a 98 4.0. A terrible accident. Was able to walk out of it. A few (or more) mpg is a good trade off for the safety.

#7 ·
Hi to all, Glad to see that you were all un hurt, Back in 2000 just had the Range Rover six weeks, i was stopped waiting to turn right when i was hit up the back end by a London double decker bus he hit me at about 30 mph said he did'nt see me, but both me and my daughter walked away unharmed and the vehicle was still driveable, total cost of repairs £ 4865.00p As you say forget the fuel cost think of life. best regards sillyboy

#9 ·
we haven't had to rely on the 38 yet thank god; but my inlaws hit a massive buck on the highway at highway speed on a dark foggy night in a disco 1 and it was a monster. no harm came to anyone aboard; although the disco, and i assume the deer, had seen many better days. i too enjoy this thread. :thumb:

#11 ·
Hi to All, I've just watched the youtube vid. but you have to take into account that the disco was an old model about as safe as a classic, the P 38 is a much different vehicle, with front end crash zone and crash cans to deploy the air bags, for me it's still the P 38. sorry no pictures. Best regards sillyboy.

G
#13 ·
-An interesting blog, OCS: And interesting photos ! Like the campaign chairs (and associated 'empire' comments) and particularly like the on-board gauge/compressor modification (details, please !.... maybe in your related 'air susp.' thread ?

#15 ·
My parents got me a 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE as soon as i turned 18 as my first car. At first, as any teenagers, i wanted a sports car, but they insisted not to and i honestly wanted a car so bad that i persuaded myself to accept what i got. I did drive before i got my first car just not so frequently. So anyways, i grew to love it, the interior, seats, spaciousness, hydraulics, off road ability, power and whatever, it all seemed perfect to me. It wasn't the best looking car around but I loved it. Two days ago, on my way to work (internship; hospitality student), I was doing about a 100km on the highway when suddenly a Kia Piccanto breaked heavily just in front of me on such short notice that even if i did, i would've probably completely destroyed it and killed its passenger so i immediately steered to the right (i was on the left lane) and so the car lost control and started drifting to the right of the highway, I then steered left and shifted to gear 2 but the car was still out of control thus hitting the wall intersecting the section i was on from the oncoming section, climbed onto it, flipped, and dragged about 10m along the highway before coming to a stop. The seat airbags deployed as the front windows shattered. I then unbuckled my seat-belt and got out of the car completely untouched but was utterly devastated at the condition i saw it in. I even went to the hospital and got checked up (xrays, tests....) but the doctors said that i was completely okay. It's beyond repair right now and I'm getting a brand new one in like a month or so. I owe Range Rovers my life

#17 ·
2000_328ci ...

I have to say, I think your pics (I remember reading your original thread) are the 'best' I've seen to promote RR's... (if there is a 'best' pic of a crash involving a RR!) 60mph collision, from the back - by a vehicle with what looks to be a steel tube bull bar, and that's all the damage you had... compared to how rooted his front end is... definitely makes me happy to be in a RR!!

I have to take the rear bumper off mine at some point because someone hit me at about 20mph from behind whilst I was stopped at the lights (they were obviously colourblind) and has cause the plastic bumper to be a bit warped... I've read you can take the while thing off and then try and straighten it etc... I do like the fact there's a nice big piece of steel in behind there though... :D

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.